Mushrooms in Terrarium

Well, this is new…

So, Blue is my male Gargoyle and he’s in a live terrarium, plants and isopods, fun fun. I was cleaning his terrarium a bit, gardening and what have you, and added some fresh soil from my Reptisoil bag last week.

I have mushrooms growing in the terrarium now. I pulled them out because I know very little about mushrooms, but my gut reaction was no. How worried about this should I be? I did a little Google search and I came up with good results, but I would really like some info from you guys. I feel your knowledge on this site vastly outweighs a quick Google search.

Edit:: Unrelated question completely, but when a gecko drops a tail, the general warning is that the regrown tail will not look the same. What exactly does that mean?

1 Like

I would not worry at all. I have all kinds of fungus from mushrooms to jellies to slime moulds pop up in my vivs. They are just a part of a bioactive system.

I have never seen a regrown garg tail but most typically the regrowth is shorter and a slightly different colour. They also will not have the same patterning and generally have a minor difference in scalation

1 Like

Thank you! Your geckos have never tried eating the fungi?

Geckos, frogs, snakes, other lizards… Nothing has tried to eat them. Well… Maybe the isopods and springtails, but that is kind of the point of having them in there LOL

Ok, this makes me feel better, thank you!

1 Like

Any chance you can post a picture of them to help anyone that finds this thread in the future?

Well… I’ll have to dig around in some trash… But maybe.

Nope, mushrooms are gone. If they grow back, I will get pictures.

1 Like

No worries :blush::+1:

Here is one of the more common mushrooms that pops up in my vivs

1 Like

I’m going to guess from the bright yellow that it has some level of toxins present, do any reptiles eat mushrooms as part of their diet?

I see these guys in my houseplants sometimes. They are referred to throughout the hobby as the yellow houseplant mushroom. Here is a small article on them; https://www.mushroom-appreciation.com/yellow-mushrooms.html#sthash.JRvMFByD.dpbs
And yes @eaglereptiles they are toxic. Just as one should not eat the yellow snow, don’t eat the yellow mushroom. :joy:

1 Like

As @ashleyraeanne said, yeah they are toxic. How toxic is not really clear, I have never seen reports of death but, as with anything toxic, I am not going to risk it finding out LOL

I would guess some of the veggie eating species might… BTS, beardies, uros, iguanas.

But I do not keep any of those. And I am fairly certain that the kukri is not going to suddenly develop a vegan streak LOL

1 Like

Would you recommend pulling that particular mushroom out of a enclosure of a veggie eating species?
Or would their digestive systems be able to handle the toxins differently to our own?

I would imagine they evolved to recognize it is non-palatable… But there would be no harm plucking it if you are wanting to be extra cautious

1 Like