My absolutely beautiful Ornate Uromastyx

Insane colors on this dude…

14 Likes

That is one nice rainbow chonk. If uros didn’t need such insane temps I would so get one. :heart_eyes:

Thanks…Yes they sure do love it hot hot hot LOL.

What a beauty! I know that @beast-blade-wolf_987 has been wanting one so I’m sure he will love this as well

Thank you…Next Uro I’ll be getting is a Thomasi…Them some cute little dudes.

1 Like

@nathan_e @ag2357 Yep. Ive never had a herp before but decided to go Uro geyri (even though I HATE heat and hi temps). Uros are prob among my favorite lizards of all time!! Thats a beautiful Uro you got there. So cute :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes: whats this beauts name? I wish I could get one finally. Maybe once I become an established Twitch streamer with 2 friends of mine (which should happen fairly soon) Ill have the mojo to finally get one.

Thanks Beast…His name is Cookie Monster. I got him recently so been letting him acclimate its self before handling him. I love that Uro’s are super inquisitive and I can see them thinking when the look at you LoL. I’ve had quite a few but sold most of them years ago and now getting back in to them.

2 Likes

Uros have been one of my favorite kinds of lizard since I learned of their existence back in 2013ish. I find I tend to like agamids quite a bit and I cant wait to get an uro or two of my own although I think Ill just start with U. geyri most likely and maybe an Ornata later on.

1 Like

So I hear these are no longer allowed to be imported in to the US…Has anyone heard this? Guess my chances of finding a high colored female for him will be even more difficult. Its bad enough that there aren’t many high colored females out there to begin with :frowning:

I know right. I wish ♀ sported the same bright beautiful colors and patterns seen in the fellas. I would love to have a bright stunner of a lady Uro. But alas thats just not how nature decided to do it for the most part.

1 Like

Yup…That’s why my jaw drops when the rare time comes around and you see a high colored female. Hardly don’t see them but when you do its amazing…I always used to send a message the owners way just in case they wanted to sell but no luck lol.

2 Likes

Just posting an updated picture of my boy Cookie Monster…

11 Likes

Stunning! :heart_eyes:

4 Likes

Thanks…I luv this guy. He used to be very skittish but now climbs right out on to my arms.

3 Likes

Geyri’s aside the Ornate Uro is the other uro species I was considering getting. Your Uro is stunning and just makes me want to finally get some Uros of my own either Geyri Ornata or both. So damn beautiful these lizards are adorable. And to think prior to 2013 I never knew they existed.

5 Likes

I love all the uro’s…I’ve had a red and a yellow Geyri, Morrocan and Egyptians. They are so easy to take care of once you have the husbandry down. Its crazy how hot they like their baskinh spots lol.

3 Likes

For me I just wanna start with Geyri and Ornatas. Im planning for the Geyri (or a pair of em) to be my 1st ever reptile companion. I just gotta figure out where I’ll put the enclosure since the dog has free reign of the house and my room is kept far too cold for a herp in general let alone a desert dwelling one. I keep my room window open in winter even–I hate heat and love cold.

So I need to find a good place in the house for the enclosure but once I do and get it setup I think I want a pair of geyri possibly (1 red 1 yellow)…already thought of names too.

2 Likes

Awesome…Every now and then some high colored Geyris pop up for sale so hope you’ll get your hands on some in the future. I’ll tell you one thing about uros in general that I’ve noticed…The skittish one’s will usually take many many months of getting used to you before they stop being skittish and allow you to handle them regularly. It took my ornate quite a long time to get used to me…With some Uro’s you have to earn their trust over time.

3 Likes

I just wish I knew a) where to get some nice CB Uros since I know most are still wild caught (I kinda wanna start with them as cute babies and watch them grow up) and b) how to pronounce geyri properly…been pronouncing it usually as gy-ree but unsure if thats right. If I ever breed reptiles down the line Uros are def what I wanna start with as well. Was thinking of the name Sunshine for a yellow and/or Sunfire for a red one. Not sure what to name it if its an ornata though. Do Uros have that social vibe like beardies do? Did you get your ornate Uro as a cute baby?

3 Likes

I wouldn’t say they are as social as Bearded Dragons but like all animals they all seem to have an individual personality. The one’s I’ve had tended to be more flighty compared to most beardies.

3 Likes