My first ever clutch

Does your egg container have holes? I wouldn’t spray them directly, but a bit of damp sphagnum moss on top can help. Your vermiculite should feel damp to the touch, but not dripping wet. When you’re initially wetting it, you should be able to squeeze a handful of it without water squeezing out if it.

4 Likes

There arent any holes in the container and the vermiculite is damp and not dripping. The eggs are also incubated at 28°C and 80% humidity

4 Likes

I don’t measure my humidity, so I can’t say for sure what numbers you should be shooting for. I just go by feel and look.

4 Likes

The incubator im using has the measurements on the top and ive also been going by what ive read in books and advice from other people. Is there anything else i should do for the eggs or should they be fine now?

3 Likes

Did you already add a bit more water to the vermiculite? I would drape a damp paper towel over top of the eggs for now or add damp sphagnum moss. Just something to keep the tops moist until they plump back up.

4 Likes

Yea ive added some more water i dont have any spagnum moss at the moment so ill getcsome later but for nkw ill add that paper towel over them thanks!

3 Likes

Sounds good!

4 Likes

How much spagnum moss should i use and should i use spagnum moss and the paper towel? Also is water on the side of the tub good or should i wipe that off?

3 Likes

You can remove the paper towel once you have some sphagnum moss. I would do one or two large handfuls. Wet it down and then squeeze out excess moisture. A bit of condensation on the sides of the tub is fine.

4 Likes

Ok thanks so much for all of the help!

3 Likes

So i place the moss on top of the eggs and leave the vermiculite how it is right?

3 Likes

Yes, as long as the vermiculite is also moist.

3 Likes

Should this be fine?

5 Likes

Yes, that looks good to me.

4 Likes

Glad you’re eggs are showing veins. It’s excellent that you’re getting them plumped up again as @solarserpents advised, too. I keep a light covering of sphagnum moss over my incubating eggs right up until they start to pip. It’s got some antimicrobial properties, in addition to its hydration benefits. The eggs may develop some brownish staining from the tannins in the moss, but this is harmless.

Speaking of color, do have one question about your moss. It may be my screen, but the moss looks very green. Some of the moss in stores for decor is dyed, or has other chemicals added. This may be harmful for developing embryos. It’s important to check and make certain that there is nothing in your sphagnum but natural sphagnum. (This is often sold as natural or organic “orchid moss.”)

5 Likes

It says live spagnum moss and in the bag its all different its dried yellowish and also green

2 Likes

Heres the spagnum moss im using

3 Likes

@caron @caryl @lumpy @solarserpents heres an update on the eggs! Its roughly day #7 of incubation so here are some pictures.

Heres the first egg also the smallest one

Now heres the other eggs

Hopefully everyone enjoys the pictures!

7 Likes

Lookin good! I am so excited that I feel like these are my noodle eggs,! You have a lot of great advice and support from this community group! Can’t wait for the pippers! :pray::+1::heart::blush:

5 Likes

I cant wait too!

5 Likes