My first ever hatchlings!

I have 2 out of the egg, n Im so excited!

Pairing is Lesser/Pastel/Fire x GHI

Not sure what exactly these little buggers are yet, but Im excited!!

26 Likes

That’s great! Congratulations! Keep us updated with how they do and how their colors develop.

4 Likes

The pretty one died. Not sure what I did wrong

Was it the first one in the pictures that died? If so, it looked small and under developed. @saleengrinch might be able to shine light on what could have gone wrong.

Ya im pretty sure my incubator is trash.

Did you cut your eggs? The babies look very small. The first one looks like it didn’t absorb the yolk sac.

2 Likes

Congratulations on your first clutch and I’m so sorry the first one passed. I know that can be devastating :persevere:

1 Like

What incubator did you use?

Yes i did, at the advice of a friend

Homemade. I rebuilding a different one. I rhink the incubator was not heating eventually

If your incubator isn’t holding temperatures that well the worst thing you can do is cut eggs. With swinging temperatures it’s tough to gauge where the eggs are development wise. I think you unfortunately cut way earlier judging by the size of the hatchlings. And if they are underdeveloped and don’t absorb the sac they probably won’t make it.

6 Likes

I realize that now. They were at 60 days and i panicked. But if temps were unstable, who **** knows… i know i killed them, and im sick over it. Lesson learned, and trying very hard to prevent this from ever happening again.

1 Like

I have lost snakes from cutting early and that is why I don’t personally cut eggs anymore. But if you are going to cut it’s better to wait until at least one pips so you know they are at least close to hatching.

6 Likes

Ya i wont again…

This one is doing ok… that 2 surviving… so far

2 Likes

Congrats and sorry to hear about the situation. Unfortunately we are all human and prone to mistakes, and when starting out, there are going to be a few (when I eventually have my first clutch im going to be a nervous wreck trying to figure out what mistakes i might be making before making them).

Dont let it get you too down. Learn from them and move forward, at the end of the day, thats all you can do, as well as giving the best care you can to the surviving babies :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Yes i have learned the hard way… also need to stop taking advise n go with my gut on things…

1 Like

Or ask here and get a lot of opinions and real life examples :blush:

4 Likes

Ya i should have… this sucks

Getting advice isnt a bad thing, however it should be taken with a grain of salt, and getting advice from more than one source greatly increases its value. There is too much info in the world for any one person to know everything, asking around and getting a consensus for what has worked for the community can be a good help :slight_smile: what works for one person may not be applicable to you however.

1 Like