My leopard gecko

I’m worried about my leopard gecko I got him yesterday and he ate to mealworms and I was holding him but I bought the wrong heat mat he has a 20 gallon but I bought a heat mat for a 5-10 gallon😔 so then I bought a ceramic heater he seems ok but the laser thermometer has not came yet or the temperature controller. Just to clairify he is like maybe 2 months old and I got him or her yesterday

Without a temp controller you could make excess of 100 degrees. The heat mat is fine as long as it gives a 90 degree spot. It doesn’t matter if it’s small. You need a thermostat. Go to Petco and get the zilla one for 30 bucks. Others wise your heat is unregulated and you could over heat him

I wouldn’t have any heat on unless you have it on a dimmer switch. Even then it’s hard to regulate without a infared

So I should turn off the ceramic?

If it’s un regulated yeah they can go awhile without belly heat you still want to keep him fairly warm. If it has a dimmer switch put a thermometer in there and turn it down so it’s comfy for him

Walmart has a infared gun for 10 and the thermostat at petco/petsmart is like 30.

1 Like

The thermostat is the most important thing. You need that to regulate any heat source. Go buy it and return it when yours comes in

1 Like

Not trying to be mean here, but from the two topics I have seen you make, it really sounds like you need to do a tonne more research before getting animals. You should easily know all of the basics by now just by looking up care sheets/videos on them. The cheapest quality thermostat is the JumpStart thermostat, you can get it on amazon.

3 Likes

Yeah @noahssnakes it’s always a good idea to do your research. I always like to have my habitat setup and cycle it for atleast a few days to know what the tank is going to do. Problems always arise even when you’re prepared, trust me. We all know it’s easy to get excited and want an animal before we’re ready or have the room. But these are living animals who if don’t feel anything, feel pain and if that doesn’t matter to you more than your own wants we can’t help you. Get that thing in a good place man,. We all just care is all don’t take it as being judgemental or anything else.

1 Like

I did a bunch of research but they did not have the supplies. All of the thing I need should be here tomorrow and on a brighter note he was not eating a lot CSU’s to got him a couple days ago but today he ate 8 meal worms so that’s nice

I was going to mention, if little guy has a 20 gallon tank. You do not need a heat mat that completely fits the entire tank. They need one side heated and the other to be the cool side. Your 5-10 gallon heat mat should be fine for him😊

3 Likes

Thanks for letting me know a lot of people say it should take up half of the tank which I think is too much and others say 1/3 of the tank appreciate it

1 Like

No problem!

1 Like