My new reptiles

Here he is, a baby beardie.
I am way late posting, I know.
Hehe I also got my first ball python, today. She is a baby and so precious I really want to hold her but not sure if i should yet.

4 Likes

@mdkhalil It’s tempting I know! You will be glad later if you hold off on handling for at least a week. I would recommend no handling for 5-7 days then offer their first meal with you. If they eat I would give them 48 hours to digest then start handling. Has always worked for me. Very important you get those first couple meals down so play it safe and avoid stress later! Congrats!

4 Likes

Her temperament seems mellow so far, she already is exploring her tub a couple times within the first hour that I brought her home. Hopefully she will sleep now and be active later again this evening. She’s so pretty and soft, I am really happy it turned out to be a great experience buying online, and the breeder seems super as well. Here she is, I love how she is white, then brown and then black and i love the little white spots on the end of her tail.

11 Likes

She is pretty little girl!
She kinda looks like my Tootsie.
Do you know what morph she is?

2 Likes

mojave, pastel, black head I think is her combo, i’d have to search through my files to find the picture of her add

Ah, I see.
I was close then in thinking thyre alike.
Tootsie is that sans the black head.
In either case, congrats on the pick up.
I hope she grows up strong and healthy. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::snake::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

yes thank you. I really like her, my camera is not great or maybe i’m not a great photographer, but she is more pretty than in this photo. she didn’t seem very scared or nervous at all. And the heat pack in her shipping box was still warm when I picked her up!

Looks like she had the red gene also. Red gene was a hitchhiker gene on the original blackhead line from Ralph Davis. It along with the ringer gene was isolated and proven to be a separate gene. So many blackheads have one or both these genes. I think your girl is carrying the red gene. She is super nice!

1 Like

Thanks but I can’t wait to be able to hold her. She is so soft. I don’t know much about all of the different bp morph genetics yet, but she is elegant looking to me. I just pray she grows up to be a good eater and always healthy like she is now.

3 Likes

She is a very nice snake for sure!

2 Likes

her head is brown, not black. so how does the blackhead gene present? I love the acid morphs with the solid black ‘muzzle’ , or any morph that has decent amount of dark shiny black.

1 Like

It’s reacting to different genes. The blackhead is floating the mojave pattern up. It’s also making the key holes smaller. The pastel is going to lighten the darkening effect the blackhead has.

2 Likes

i’ll wait until after she poops to hold her so I know her meal digested. How long does it generally take them to poop after eating?

Some of mine will poop a week after a meal and others may go 2-4 weeks after a meal. Hatchlings and yearlings will go more frequently. Adults will vary depending on the particular snake. My adult Pied goes about once every 2-3 weeks, compared to my younger balls that will poop about every week or 10 days. No set schedule really, just wait 48 hours after a meal and you’re ok to handle.

3 Likes