My OC seems settled i think

Im not sure about snake body language so much but id assume if they are relaxed they are ok.

I made a opaque hide from a chicken bowl ( i throughly cleand it before use) and i drilled out a hole so OC could hide in it, however she has never used it. She sometimes buries herself under the aspen bedding. Lately she has been sitting out in the open on the bedding. She seems more relaxed to me but im not 100% for sure. Is this a good sign?

3 Likes

Sounds perfectly normal. Rosalie rarley uses her hide

3 Likes

It sounds like she’s comfortable. She may use the hide even if you’re not seeing it, so you should definitely leave it in there, but it sounds like she’s settling in nicely after her extended walkabout. Some snakes are just weird about hides.

My blood python straight-up refuses to use “traditional” hides. When I put them in her tub, she just avoids the entire area where the hide is. So instead I just give her fairly deep substrate, which she likes to burrow and nest in, and I give her a bunch of fake plants she can hide under. She seems to prefer this arrangement. :person_shrugging:

3 Likes

Thats great to hear i noticed so many personalities between animals. Even between Snow and OC. She loves to hide in the bedding ( im ok with that ) whereas Snow often loves to hang out in the open and loves to look around. I have seen OC in the open a few times.

I haven’t worked yet with OC preferring to wait for her to really set in. I haven’t seen her coiled back lifted head pose so it seems as if she is at least more relaxed.

2 Likes

Relaxed is very good! Sounds like your girl OC is settling in after her adventures. I am glad to hear it. As for where she likes to hang out, they’re all individuals, as I know you appreciate. Maybe Orange Crush will end up being one of the ones who likes to spend time where you can see her. That’s a good thing.

3 Likes

I hope she will realize after her month long ordeal of being unfed with no water or heat and being scared to come out because of my cat, that i really love her and she is fed, cared for and safe.

I think things will be turning a corner for us even Snow too. I been practicing taping using this long plastic reading light that has all smooth rounded design while i wait for my snake hook to arrive. Both her and snow seemed to almost enjoy their chin “scratches”. I also plan on putting Sasha in my bedroom when i work with them since she is far too curious, she doesn’t seem to want to hurt them but i know they can smell her and see her so that will set back any progress we have made. I really don’t trust an “introduction” between her and them as i can’t predict what either would do if plastic/glass didn’t separate them, its a greater risk than id ever be willing to take.

4 Likes

Yeah, I always put my cats in another room when I take my snakes (or my chinchilla) out. They really don’t show much interest in my snakes, but better safe than sorry, plus I don’t want them stressing the snakes out even if they don’t do anything.

That’s great that you’re practicing with another object while you wait on your snake hook! A lot of snakes do seem to rather enjoy chin rubs with a hook or similar objects.

3 Likes

It makes me really, really happy to read your updates, @rmleone. I’m so glad that you and BOTH of your pretty serpents are working toward a solid, comfortable and comforting way of interacting and living together. :heart:

You are doing the safe thing by putting Sasha elsewhere when you’re working with the snakes. It’s perfectly possible that she won’t bother them; my cat Mochi has always stayed nearby when I’m doing anything, including wiring with the snakes. She has never bothered any of them; she just curls up and ignores them. She has actually been helpful & notified me more than once of an escapee’s location.

Another cat, however, is absolutely banished if a viv is open. Baby (silly name, blame hubby) would definitely snag a snake if he had a chance. He’s actually knocked small vivs off a shelf in the past. Thank God he didn’t catch the snake. The thing is, your snakes don’t know if Sasha is a Mochi or a Baby. They’re likely to be nervous about scenting a predator.

You’re doing so fine! Keep up the good work, and keep the updates coming! :+1: :heart:

2 Likes

I had a kitty named baby but in my defense i was told he was a she didn’t really see until i took him to the vet, he had an issue with the testes not dropping. I changed his name to buddy it seemed more fitting for him anyway.

Thank you for the encouragement :heart: im really trying to be the best carer i can be for all my animals. Sasha did help me find OC because she is so obsessed with all my animals she sat near the refrigerator for the entire day staring at the crack. I 1st tried to redirect her as i do when she stares at my animals but when she kept at it i had to grab my flashlight and sure enough i saw her little head poking out of the crack, she quickly retreated back in but know i knew for sure where she was. 2 days later i had my baby back in my care! Even though she is so extra and has a 20’ python 'tude in her small body i still love her very much.

2 Likes

One of my daughters is a vet. She says it’s downright astonishing how many animals are named Baby. :laughing:

Hurrah for Sasha finding Orange Crush. That behavior sounds like what Mochi has done to help me locate wandering serpents.

And hurrah for you.

3 Likes