My python has strange spots on his eyes

This guy has already shed twice, but there are still some pieces left on his eyes. I put carbomer eye gel on his eyes, but it didn’t help. What it is?

4 Likes

Are his scales always that wrinkly and dimpled? I don’t keep bloods but that doesn’t look normal to me. The wrinkled dimpled scales on his head and the eye issue, which looks like bits of stuck sclera (eye caps), looks like dehydration. What are your humidity levels and does he have a humid hide?

1 Like

The humidity level is about 40-50, yes, I also notice very dry skin behind it. I use a 150 watt infrared lamp in a 100x60x60 terrarium and try to mist the terrarium 3 times a day

1 Like

So I’m sure some blood python owners will chime in shortly but I think he may be dehydrated which is causing the eye issue. They require pretty high humidity, like 60%+ consistently IIRC. I would try raising the humidity to 70% and providing him with a humid hide box. Any plastic container large enough for him to fit in entirely with damp sphagnum moss usually works. You can cut a hole in the lid or side of the container big enough for him to enter and exit. If you start growing mold in the hide box, you can add a few holes to the sides of the container to get some air flow and don’t dampen the moss as much when you replace it.

Does he have a water dish large enough to fully submerge himself in?

What type of substrate are you using?

If that is indeed pieces of stuck sclera on his eyes and they don’t come off during the next shed after raising the humidity, it may require manual removal. You could try holding wet paper towel or cloth over his eyes for approx. 10-mins and gently rubbing the stuck pieces of scale to see if they come off. I’d be hesitant to try to remove those small pieces myself using tweezers or anything like that because of where they are on his eye. I would probably take him to a vet for this if raising the humidity and a good shed don’t get them to come off.

3 Likes

Oh, he has a bowl in which he can completely curl up. I keep him in diaper and newspapers

That humidity is way too low. It should be closer to 70%. And what are the temperatures? The hot spot shouldn’t get above 85.

While this can work for some species, it won’t for STPs (at least in a standard keeper standpoint). I would switch over to ReptiChip or similar substrate. One thing I would recommend is using something like puppy pads or newspaper underneath the substrate to absorb any of the liquid pee that gets through the substrate.

Would we be able to get a picture of the enclosure?

2 Likes

The temperature during the day usually rises to 33-34 C in a warm corner, and in a cold corner it stays at 27-28 C, and also drops everywhere to 25 C at night.
I don’t quite understand how to take a pic of an enclosure, like this?

While I can’t speak on the humidity issue, I know STPs tend to like to burrow and be hidden, so his total lack of substrate and hides may cause him stress. A deep substrate to burrow in would also help with humidity issues as it would hold water

3 Likes

Yeah, that humidity is way too low, which is probably why your STP is having trouble shedding the eye caps. 65-75% seems to be the sweet spot for STPs. Mine sheds great at those levels.

Also be sure you’re changing the water frequently (like every day or every other day). Mine is a bit of a princess about water and will really only drink it when it’s fresh, and I’ve heard that’s pretty typical for STPs.

3 Likes

That enclosure is way too bare and exposed. Definitely get him some hides and real or fake plants for coverage. And they really enjoy having loose substrate in which to burrow. A loose substrate that holds humidity well, like cypress mulch or coco husk, will also go a long way in helping to maintain humidity levels. And if that enclosure has a screen top, I’d recommend covering it to hold in more moisture. Then you’ll have an easier time maintaining proper humidity and likely won’t need to mist as often.

4 Likes

Yep, i change the water once every 3 days, that’s the maximum for him, really likes to drink

1 Like

Oh yes, I still have the coco husk that I bought for my ball python
Thanks for the advices :slight_smile: There are a lot of contradictions on the Internet about keeping STPs, in my region there are practically no such snakes

1 Like

Yeah, there’s definitely a lot of conflicting information out there. I know a lot of people recommend keeping them on paper, and I’m sure that works fine if you have higher ambient humidity in your home, but I live in a more dry climate (and it sounds like you do too), and in that case, having a substrate that retains moisture really helps. Plus my girl really likes to burrow in it.

2 Likes