My spicy baby escaped

I guess my baby had enough of me and ran away bow i have no idea where she would’ve gone.

I didnt like the idea of a tub and i went with one on advice here instead of a tank and now i have no idea where she is. Im worried she will die or that my cat will get her and kill her. I don’t really have anyone who can move furniture around to find her what do i do now?

3 Likes

Do a search on the forum for previous threads in escaped snakes, there have been some great discussions.

4 Likes

A properly secured tub with a locking lid isn’t something a snake can get out of. Does your tub have latches? If you have a bigger/stronger snake it is best to get one with latches on all 4 sides. I have never had a snake escape from a tub. I have had one escape from a tank though.

As @mblaney said, there are plenty of threads on the topic. Snake Discovery also did a video on this same thing a while back.

6 Likes

I used binder clips but probably not enough or on right she is small im more worried about if my cat get her than anything

4 Likes

You can get tubs that have latches built into them. Can you lock the cat in one room? Away from where you had the snakes of course. I recommend blocking the bottom of the door up if you can keep the cat in one room for now. If you have a dedicated reptile room, closing the doors and blocking the cracks on the doors would probably keep the snake in that room.

5 Likes

While you search you could kennel your cat. Ideally have it boarded elsewhere for a few days while you look and try the usual methods.

7 Likes

Im going to do a room by room imm see if my niece can come help me search

3 Likes

Follow the edges of the wall from right where the snake tubs are, just follow along those edges as far as they go. My 6 gram house snake traveled four stories down a split level house into the basement! You can take the heat mat from underneath a bin and, still on its thermostat, hide it in a nice dark place along that wall or in the room the wall deadends. It’s a “heat trap” to entice your snake to come hide in there.

The other advice i have is 1- containthe cats in the room furthest from the snake room with maybe some new balls of crinkly paper or other interesting things to play with, and 2- think like a snake. You’re looking for somewhere on the ground, dark, quiet, and warm. Look in shoes, under bags, behind furniture especially, again, along the baseboards.

And don’t panic! Everyone loses an escaped snake and ALMOST ALL the snakes are found alive and well. They’re resilient that way.

Youa re most likely to find your snake at night, when it is active. Snake Discovery has a very good video on Snake Escapes, and I used that, and the Heat Trap method, to find my baby in a couple days.

7 Likes

She probably hasn’t gone too too far my front room is the warmest in the house over 80 since i have my refrigerator and all of my enclosures here. She sure outsmarted me thats for sure. She may have gone under the sofa thats where my boy wanted to go.

4 Likes

Im watching my cat very closely because she will likely alert me to where the baby is.

4 Likes

Exactly! That’s a good place to start looking, either yourself or once you get some help to do the more athletic hunting around. Generally with the noise of a search they will stay hidden, but if you hunt again at night, you increase your odds of spotting them. Rosies are sturdy, robust snakes, so she’s almost definitely fine and probably looking for somewhere dark and secure to hole up.

5 Likes

Oh no, I’m so sorry! @athleticshoelace gave some great advice. The fact that she managed to find her tiny little paper clip of a snake should give you hope. I’ve heard that leaving a water dish by the heat trap can also help attract them to a specific spot, since they’ll be drawn to any accessible source of water when they get thirsty.

Regarding tubs and binder clips, to check my tub for security and to help me figure out where to place the clips, I try to get my pinky finger under the lid. Anywhere I can wedge my pinky gets a binder clip. You also have to make sure you’re actually clipping the clip over both the lid and the lip of the tub. Sometimes the clip will just slide between the lid and the lip of the tub if you’re not careful, so you have to make sure the clip catches both the lid and the lip of the tub when you put it on. You can also put something heavy on the lid to weigh it down, like bricks and/or heavy books (like hardcover textbooks).

I hope you find your girl soon! It may take a little time, but odds are she’ll turn up sooner or later.

6 Likes

I do know she cannot get outside because i leave no windows open and there is no gap in the front door. Im sure she hasn’t gone far especially with my cat who would be on her quick. Tomorrow ill get help searching every box etc. Ill stay up late tonight and stay quiet if she comes out.

4 Likes

Leave fresh water out and check it often. I’ve found several loose snakes over the years while they were taking a drink.

5 Likes

Snakes are often found within 5-10 feet of their enclosure. Follow the wall in both directions and see which direction leads to more clutter. If there are boxes with things in them, the snake is likely in there. If not it is likely in a place with a very small area (like under furniture or between something) or with heat.

4 Likes

Great news i found my spicy baby noodle she was not far like yall said, she was like 5 feet away behind the sofa. Shes getting put in my lock top tank im not gonna play with her.

Lil missy needs an attitude adjustment she gotta stop biting mommy.

6 Likes

Next i gotta deal with her attitude which is extra spicy with a side a sas and a diet bite. :joy:

5 Likes

Hooray! So glad you found her and that she’s safe. I know how stressful an escaped animal can be. I haven’t had a snake escape (yet, knock on wood), but my chinchilla escaped from her old cage a few times (needless to say, I got her a new cage). I know how crazy-making it can be. Very glad you were able to find her so quickly.

Give her some time to recover from the stress of her walkabout and to settle in to her new enclosure, and then you can start some short, gentle handling sessions to see if you can help improve her attitude a bit. Often some positive, low-stress interactions can help them learn to feel less threatened and defensive towards humans. Though even among normally-docile species, some individuals are just perpetually grumpy.

5 Likes

Keep in mind too big and open of an enclosure can stress them even more and make them more defensive and more likely to bite. If you get a storage tub with latches she won’t be able to get out. Also, rosy boas have legendary feeding responses. Even to this day my rosy has never stopped trying to eat everything, including me. Sometimes they never stop.

4 Likes

It’s possible she escaped looking for a place to hide. If you’re still using clear boxes, those are not a hide that a snake would find safe. Hides need to be dark and secure feeling- opaque with no way for you to see her except by looking in through the hole. A snake that doesn’t feel safe will be stressed and bitey- try changing the clear boxes for hides, leave her alone for a week, and see how her temperament changes.

5 Likes