My young albino python won't eat

I purchased a very healthy, beautiful Albino ball python from a breeder here on MorphMarket a few weeks ago. She was born in Sept of '22 so she isn’t very old. Her first feeding (frozen/thawed) went pretty well, once I got the rat to the correct temp. No signs of any trouble with digestion the next few days, even got her out after 48 hours and let her get acquainted with being handled. Next feeding day I try to feed her again and she struck the rat and attempted to swallow it backwards (hind first). After trying a few minutes she seemed to give up and abandoned the rat. This was last Sunday and I haven’t been able to get her to show any interest in feeding since. So far it has been 11 days since she ate and I can’t get her to show any interest in eating. I’ve heated the rat in hot water, even used a hair dryer to warm the rat and blow the scent into her tank. She comes out of her hide and almost bumps the rat but will not strike to eat. Anybody have any advice or info that would help by chance? I know it’s not uncommon for pythons to fast for a few weeks but I want to make sure I’m not missing anything. Thanks in advance

4 Likes

One thing I would definitely recommend is giving time between offering. If she refuses, give her a week, minimum with no handling or bothering her before offering again. If you keep offering it’s likely to just keep her from wanting to try to eat.

Any info on set up, temps, humidity, etc could be helpful as well. Sorry you’re having issues getting them to eat.

8 Likes

@nswilkerson1 is right. We’ll need a bit more info on things… and slow down. Each time you offer a BP food and it stresses out makes it more likely to want to avoid it. Because this is a new animal, I wouldn’t hold them until they have eaten at least 3 meals with you.

Right now you just want to let the baby settle in and establish good feeding habits. You could have up to 25 or more years with her to handle after that. And by monitoring how she reacts now and letting her have the least amount of stress for the next couple of weeks is extremely handy for seeing the signs of something wrong later on and her patterns change.

6 Likes

Very good info, thanks yall. Habitat stays around 79-82 degrees, humidity in the 50s. I have her two hides, one of the warm side and another on the cool side. I use a heat pad under the warm side to keep it warmer. I’ll give her another week before I try again, or more. Thanks again for the replies.

3 Likes

As a heads up, if her habitat is large for her, you’ll want to crumple up some paper or get some fake leaves of something for her to hide under and feel more comfortable. Otherwise you can try putting her in a smaller tub until she’s eating regularly and then move her up later on.

3 Likes

Your hot side should be 90 to 95 degrees cool side no less than 85 degrees. She needs that heat to digest her food properly. Bps like it hot. If she knows she can’t digest her food she will not accept another meal until the one she ate has digested properly.

If she is in a huge tank she will feel more secure in a smaller tub for now. I am sure she was in a small tub at the breeder’s.

Humidity around 60 percent.

So first amp up the heat and humidity asap and add more “stuff” to whatever she is in and give her another week and leave her alone so as not to stress her. When you see a poop she has digested. If she still refuses to eat put her in a smaller tub and give her another week undisturbed. Then offer food again. Be consistent with this until she starts eating.

I have 4 pet baby bps right now and they are all in small cozy tubs nice and snuggly with heat and humidity, minimal handling (for now) and they all come out and grab their food.

Once your baby is an established eater then you can interact with her a bit more. I know she is beautiful and all but she needs to settle in first. She is a little snake now in a big scary world and once she feels safe then she will eat and grow and be a great companion for you! And don’t stress if she doesn’t eat for a few weeks until you get it right! Lol! She will be patient and most of all she’ll be fine!

Good luck with her and keep us updated! :snake:

1 Like

That is too hot for a bp. Hot side should not exceed 90°F. Honestly keeping younger BPs at temps in the lower to mid 80s is better than too hot.

6 Likes

I have to agree with @ashleyraeanne. Hot side no higher then 90.
Of the enclosure is big, you might want to use something smaller or really clutter it up. Having a hide or maybe two is another must have.
As far as food, you can go smaller for a while to get it eating again. I would go live and smaller. Yes it might be a hassle to go back to f/t, but if it starts eating again, that is the goal. And definitely wait at least a week or longer between attempt feeding. Once eating again, you can go back to a 7 day scheduled.

3 Likes

@ashleyraeanne and @d_y_python Ok thank you for the advice/recommendations! I will definitely remember that for advice next time! :+1::heart: My 4 babies are doing great and have been for the past several months as far as eating etc. So should I lower the temps anyway? Somewhere I read the wrong information!!!

2 Likes

Yes i would lower the temps for sure below 90 at least. In male bp it can cause issues with things when it comes to breeding.

2 Likes

Ok. At least I am not a breeder! I just like BPs and have way too many! Lol!

The other problem with keeping them on high heat like that…is just in case an accident happens. There’s an extremely small window there between safe and hazardous temps. Keeping them at 90 gives you that 5 degrees for error and then anything over 95 is danger.

My thermostats will read 92 because they need to heat up tubs and such in a cool room. But I always make sure that my inside surface temps read at no higher than 90.

4 Likes

Correct same here 92 for me on that but tub surface is 89-90 hot. And it is safer in case of issues for sure.

All above is expert advice, ensure enough cover and correct environmentals all over the tank.
Large areas are difficalt to maintain security and environmental conditions. All mine start in small areas to avoid this and do fine.

A bad experience (fail) can put them off for a bit. maybe try something a bit smaller till she gets her confidence back.

You have plenty of time. Also she could just be coming up for a shed.

3 Likes

Yes, I would definitely lower it. Unless, your thermostat shows it but the actual temp is lower. There could be a deference between the thermometer and the actual surface. Just like @armiyana & @grimreaper07 has started. Mine reads 94 but surface is 89 and the substrate is 86. So there is some room for error. And the thermometer is not directly on the surface. Glad your setup is good and you had no problems. The biggest thing is keeping them safe, fed and secured. Sounds like you have it all covered.

1 Like

Yes of course the surface is lower. I did not know I was going to cause a ruckus! Lol! I didn’t mean to give bad advice. I just know that my pet baby bps are doing well with the way I have things set up for them so I that is where the confusion comes in. I will try to be more specific about actual SURFACE temps. Thank you for helping to clarify all of this! Lol! Sometimes I can be a ditz. Actually I had my gallbladder removed this Wednesday the 12th so I was probably a little fuzzy yesterday. Lol! :blush:

Anyway here is a picture with the temperature on the shredded aspen surface. @armiyana and @grimreaper07 also. Thank you guys for keeping me on my toes!!! :heart::heart::+1:

4 Likes

Don’t worry about it. It was no ruckus. We are all just having a good healthy discussion. That is what is so great about this place. You don’t get all the negatively, threats, or bashing like all the other social media places.

4 Likes

Yay! Thank you!

2 Likes

No problem at all we are all just helping and giving our advice.

1 Like

That’s what I absolutely love love love about this family! It is so giving and forgiving! :heart::+1::blush: