Need advice as anyone see anything like this before?

To be honest it looks like scale rot to me. Usually happens when an enclosure is too moist and is caused from bacteria.

Ok thanks I have only had him 2 weeks he was on paper where I got him from I have got him on reptichip how to treat this ? I have removed is water and cleaned him and I have put some Antibiotic cream on??

I would completely clean and disinfect the cage try to keep humidity lower so it is not so moist . repti chip can retain moisture so for right now I would probably put him back on paper so he can heal along with the ointment.

Ok thanks I will do

I always keep this to hand, was recommend by another breeder and worked for me

1 Like

Ok thanks I will get some and give it ago :+1::snake:

Antibiotic cream for humans? Best not to put that on a reptile of any kind. Just clean it and keep it dry, or use a cream a vet prescription will get you like silver sulfadiazine. Also, chances are it might lose the very tip of its tail from the look of it.

1 Like

@ashleyraeanne Idk about CREAM but your generic triple antibiotic ointment is just fine as long as it doesn’t have added painkilling ingredients.

3 Likes

Maybe there was some stuck shed built up on the tail? Either that or scale rot would be my guess, although scale rot is not usually confined to such a single specific area. Either way, Betadine is my go-to treatment for small wounds or scale irritation. I put about an inch or two (depending on the size of the snake) of warm water in a plastic tub with a small squirt of Betadine mixed in, enough to make the water turn the color of weak tea. I let the snake soak in it for about 10 mins, keeping an eye on them to make sure they don’t try to drink it.

Betadine is usually available at any pharmacy or drugstore (CVS, Walgreens, etc). You can find it in the wound care area. It’s a brown liquid in a plastic bottle.

1 Like

Yeah, ointment is fine, but cream (Neosporin comes to mind) usually has painkillers in it.

My point was just because it’s packaged and marketed “for humans” doesn’t mean you can’t use it on a reptile. Just need to check the ingredients first very important we don’t overlook something that might harm them.

1 Like

It’s ok I did check thanks . And thanks for the advice I appreciate it

1 Like