Need Help Identifying Morph

I was given this large female at a local pet store and was looking to breed her. However I wanted to Identify if she is just a normal ball or any other morph she may possibly be. Can someone help me Identify it?

1 Like

She looks like a big normal to me :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Yeah I was told that at the pet shop but they say I wouldn’t really know till I breed her to see if she had any hidden genes. They were guessing she was between 10 or 15 yrs old because of the size of her head. Im honestly just getting into snakes so this is all new to me lol

It’s a normal.

2 Likes

Ok cool! So I have 2 other balls 1 is a BEL, which is a female and the male I have is a Yellowbelly pastel from what I was told. I’m actually concerned about the BEL because she moves sort of irregular. I was told it possibly has spider gene. If I was to breed her will the offspring have that same trait and movement?

Uploading: 20200709_154543.jpg… Uploading: 20200709_153614.jpg…

The spider gene is inherently linked to a sort of neurological disorder that can produce a “wobble” or odd movement like you describe. If your BEL does have the spider gene, then in theory around 50% of her offspring would carry the spider trait along with its neurological characteristics. This trait is linked explicitly to the spider gene however, and any non spider babies will not inherit that issue. In general if your BEL is functioning fine it shouldn’t be a problem, as with most spiders.

1 Like

Only concerns are her strange movements like when I hold her she may be upside moving backwards or just turns strange. She also eats well but yesterday I watched her eat she was like all over the place striking and curl in a weird position

That’s very common for spiders to display those type of movements.
You could try keeping her a little cooler than other ball pythons.
For example I keep my non-spider morph balls around 88-90, that depends on how hot it is in my reptile room.
For spiders I keep them at 86 and have found this to slightly decrease the wobble.
But overall almost all spiders will display some kind of wobble, and for new keepers it can be worrisome. But from my experiences spiders are perfectly fine with this condition, and generally seem to eat better than other morphs. I wouldn’t let the wobble worry you, it’s perfectly normal for that morph.
Again that’s just my experiences.

1 Like

I think heat could play a factor as well. Personally I don’t keep any ball python hotter than 86 with the exception of gravid females who get an 87-89 degree hot spot. 78-80 ambient.

2 Likes

I like your approach on temps.
From my experiences I’ve found a lot of balls enjoy cooler temps than what a lot of people keep them at.
I really try and shoot for a top temp of 87-88, but my reptile room always runs a little hotter being on the top floor, and I don’t like using AC because that drains the humidity out so much.

1 Like

Man I definitely appreciate you guys feedback. I actually considering breeding.

I actually just purchased a female cinnamon coral glow which I’m going to breed later to my yellow belly pastel

1 Like

She is a beauty, I would suggest getting her sexed just for piece of mind. A lot of banana/coral glows are male due to the nature of that morph.
I’m in no way suggesting the breeder whom you bought from is shady, but always good to double check with that gene.

3 Likes

Thats exactly what he said! Most coral glows are male so when they check it they were shocked. They were actually going to sell me either the father she was produce from or her brother. But I ask to see her she was by herself and he said she was rare and possibly may go back but I was like nope I want her lol

Also I may possibly go back and buy the father. Supposedly he’s a super cinnamon coral glow

If you intend to breed the sire(father of the clutch) back to his daughter, I might look for a different cinnamon bloodline. Not because I’m against breeding sire to daughter, more because I’d be cautious of mixing cinnamon blood that closely related. When you breed and produce super cinnamons they can sometimes have duckbills and kinks. Not all will have these birth defects, but it is common. So if you’re shooting for the super cinnamon, it could be a good idea to try and find a different bloodline to help reduce these issues.
Either way, she is a terrific pickup and addition to your collection, congrats.

1 Like

Actually I was looking to breed it to my normal that was in the 1st photo I originally posted.

Oh very good, then in that case that would be a terrific pairing. You would produce all cinnamons with about 50% being banana cinnamons.

2 Likes

Look at her belly, I’ll bet her pied