Need help ID'ing this clutch!

The other thing that I didn’t see an answer to, which may actually be the most likely thing here though:

1 Like

It can happen non visually as well, but might never be detected depending on what tissues the cells makeup and at what stage in development it occurs. For example if a banana ball python embryo fused with a normal to create a paradox/chimera, it could look visually banana but have cells with the “normal” genotype making up some of its internal organs and you might never know.

1 Like

No chance of that. I do have other pinstripes but, she was a virgin & it was a specific pairing to see if he proved Het Ghost or not because my other visual ghost was paired to my Pastel Ultramel to make dbl Het’s.

1 Like

Gotcha. That’s very interesting & for now is the only explanation that makes any sense. I think I’m going to get an adult female normal & pair him to her next year to determine what’s going on.

1 Like

That’s a good idea!

2 Likes

I concur. Chimerism might explain it. In this case it would have to be the “hotdog in a tube sock” kind of chimera, which I have only seen one other solid candidate for previously. What were the pairings that produced the sire and dam?
That said, I would not rule out an accidental pairing with a Pin. I know you say you did not put her with anything else but is it possible she was next to/above/below a tub with a female you were pairing to a Pin and you mistakenly blind grabbed the wrong tub? Or that your wife helped you by pairing while you were out of town for a week and accidentally put the wrong animals together? Or that you tossed two animals together in a tub while cleaning? Or that you threw a random male in with the female just to stimulate her to feed? These things happen more often than we realize and I have seen cases where even five minutes together was enough to end up with a clutch

I had a RedStripe clutch one… nine babies, eight of which were RS (and also, eight of which were male). Sometimes the odds gods are just fickle LOL

2 Likes

:joy: :joy: That’s a fantastic analogy, this is the stuff they give doctorates for :joy:

I’m really curious to see what happens when he’s bred again, because that will prove whether or not it was a mixup or something more occurring. I’ve never seen a chimera without visual markings, but with a different genotype of gametes, but know it’s possible.

2 Likes

I go for the analogies that I think make the best visuals LOL

Ben Rennik had an absolutely normal, in every sense of the word, female that regularly produced Pastel offspring. These odd balls are out there, the are just particularly rare in my estimation

4 Likes

He actually went deeper into this “hotdog in a tube sock” a while back, definitely one of the wilder educational rides from Travis :joy:

2 Likes

I might have been a part of that thread now that I think back…

1 Like

The sire came from a Queen Bee Leopard x Pinstripe pairing. Other than that, I can’t figure any other way for the Pinstripe to be there. My wife doesn’t deal with breeding so it couldn’t have been that… I think its a form a chimeraism. I’m going to breed him to a genetic stripe this season to see what comes out. It’s definitely a head scratcher for sure but, I’ll keep this thread updated! I know there has to be others out there, like Ben’s; I’m not That lucky😂! One of the babies literally looks like when you don’t line the wallpaper up exactly & you see the slight shift in pattern right down the the dorsel.