Need help with baby

I just hatched a clutch id ball pythons, all the babies

are healthy and moving other than this one. It hasn’t fully absorbed it “yoke sack”. What should I do or not do? I’ve never had this issue and don’t like it. I have separated it from the others and still have it in the incubator. Any help is welcome

3 Likes

Try @saleengrinch, Ive never bred any reptiles yet so I cannot help.

3 Likes

I haven’t had a issue like this ever so I don’t think I can be of much help for personal experience or advice but what I do know is that this is common in a few reptiles like tortoises where the sack doesn’t fully absorb and it just takes a little bit for it to absorb. So I’d say just leave it alone and give it as little stress as possible but in any case I agree @saleengrinch can be of more insight

3 Likes

Has any of the yolk hardened inside the snake?

2 Likes

@ballornothing Might know what to do as well.

2 Likes

Did you cut the eggs? Did it crawl out itself like that?
What were your incubation temps and what day are you on incubation wise?

7 Likes

I did cut the eggs on day 58 after seeing a couple pip. It came out of the egg on its own. The rest of the clutch is healthy. I incubated at 89

1 Like

How long has it been outside of the egg?

3 Likes

Keep the paper towels wet and it should drop that sac on it’s own. I’ve never tied them off but some do with success. Make sure it’s alone and there are no sharp angles inside the tub to scratch it. It actually looks pretty good considering where it at on absorbing the yolk.

3 Likes

Keep it separated and on damp towels like you have it, you might crumple some damp paper towels around it/over it so it feels more sheltered, and then leave it alone. At most, check it once a day. It will absorb the yolk but you do not want to stress it out and make it move around a lot and tear the yolk/umbilicus free

9 Likes

Just came out lastnight

1 Like

Awesome thanks

1 Like

Definitely keep us updated on this baby.

4 Likes

So the baby seems to be getting stronger/more active but the sack dosnt seem to be getting any smaller. Any suggestions?

2 Likes

Post a picture if you can. The sac will come off on it’s own but let’s see what kind of shape it’s in.

1 Like

2 Likes

Switch out the paper towels. That blue-green splotch on the ones in there is indicative of Pseudomonas and you do not want to have that getting overgrown in there

6 Likes

Ok I switch them daily. I will keep posting pictures to make sure we are going the right direction. Again thanks

2 Likes

So the sack fell off snake is active. Should I put anything on it to protect from infection?

5 Likes

Nope, it will be fine.

5 Likes