Need some advice on corn snake breeding!

I bred my male corn snake to one of my females on March 8th after she had her post-brumation shed, and saw a visual copulation. I also paired them on March 9th to see if I could get a second copulation (which I did). Now it is March 17th and have been trying to get him to breed to my other female for 5 days now, and can not get any breeding behavior out of him. I thought maybe he just didn’t want to breed to the one female and tried to pair him with the female he bred with twice, but still nothing. I have tried various tips and tricks and don’t know what to do. This is my first time breeding snakes and I am worried.

1 Like

Do not stress it. Give him another week off to rest, try and get a meal into him, and then try again around the 25th.

You do not have to rapid-fire breed colubrids. My kukri only paired twice and those were a month apart and I got a nice clutch from them

1 Like

Ok, thank you I will do that. I just don’t really know what to expect this being my first time breeding snakes, and am glad for any help I can get.

2 Likes

Let the weather help guide you! If you are expecting any rain, it really seems to invigorate breeding behaviour. The heavier the rain, the better the effect!

3 Likes

Often times it’s the female that won’t accept/allow him to breed. Maybe they aren’t ready yet or just don’t like the male. The 1 he’s already locked with could now be rejecting him for different reasons because she doesn’t need him anymore.

If you haven’t tried it yet I’ve had success by putting another males recent shed in with them. The scent seems to stimulate them both into breeding. The male doesn’t want to lose an opportunity to another guy and the girls think they have 2 boys to choose from although only 1 can lock.

2 Likes

Ok, thankyou

I don’t have any hard data to back up this opinion/practice, but myself and every breeder I can think of I have known for many years, give our male corns 2-3 days between pairings. The thought is that this allows the males time to regenerate sperm and increases chances of a successful pairing. Just food for thought :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you :slight_smile:

…and yeah, the pairing during a thunderstorm definitely works ~90% of the time in my experience!

1 Like

First lock of the year yesterday!IMG_3390

1 Like

Awesome what’s the pairing? (looks like a tessera with a lavender or pewter morph just to take a shot at guessing the morphs).

You hit the nail on the head :). He is an Okeetee Tessera and she is a Lavender Motley. I have no idea if they have any hets hiding in their genome, but I’m hoping for some surprises. Best of luck with your breeding plans this year as well.

2 Likes

Thank you, and good luck producing as well. :slight_smile:

1 Like