Need some help

I’m looking into getting my first Ball python. been looking at encloser. there are so many different kinds, What is a good one to start with? I hear locking lids and some locking doors.

4 Likes

I’m not a BP person so I can’t help too much, but I will say that knowing what heating and lighting options you would prefer (overhead outside of tank, inside tank with cage, underneath heating) will help you narrow your choices down :grin:

4 Likes

I suggest a front opening enclosure with a heat pad and thermostat for a hot spot. Cover 80% of the top with something that will help you retain humidity.

6 Likes

Hey Don just curious :face_with_monocle: Wouldn’t a front opening enclosure have a solid top?

3 Likes

Sliding front enclosures will be, but things like the enclosures from dubia.com and exoterra have screen tops.

6 Likes

Oh ok! I did not know that! Thank you Don! This is my “learn something new everyday” for today! :bulb::+1:

4 Likes

Front opening ones that most stores carry, with the screen tops can be really hard to get tuned in with temps and humidity. But covering it and sealing it is almost a must, as stated earlier.
Most stores will sell you everything they have, and most if it is not needed.
Enclosure can be a glass tank, rack, pvc, or even a storage container.
Heat can be above or under the tank, both work. Depending on what housing you have. Glass can use either, storage tub would need under. Racks usually use heat tape of panels.
Lights are not needed at all. Normal room light is all you need.
Heat lights will need another heat source for when it is off at night. I do not recommend this setup.
We started out with the glass, then changed to storage tubs, then rack. All the snakes did good with all of these setups, once tuned in. Glass was the hardest to get set up, tubes and rack was very easy. A little more work was needed for the tubs, as they do not have holes when you buy them.

4 Likes

Thank you Duane! Very informative and well said again! Amen!

2 Likes

Some have screened tops.

2 Likes