New baby, need help identifying morph

Do you happen to have a picture of a single gene sandblast?

1 Like

This is a pewter I have on my wishlist.

4 Likes

I don’t as my goal is to not produce single gene animals. Everything I have is a combo. I did manage to produce a single gene Sandblast Pied this season.

Josh at Trademark Exotics produced a few single gene Sandblasts early last year and a young breeder out of TX produced some single gene Sandblasts and an amazing Sandblast Cinnamon, which I have yet to produce.

2 Likes

Thanks for the info.
I’ll have to look into those other breeders to see what the single gene expression looks like.
I figured you being the discoverer of the gene would have one to see how it progressed with age.

1 Like

This gene popped out of a combo female I acquired back in 2006. It wasn’t until about 2012 we finally concluded there was a new gene at play.
Combo we’ve produced so far with Sandblast:
Pastel
Super Pastel
Pastel OD
Pastave
Pewter
Sterling
Silver Bullet
Super Pewter
Sterling Mojave
Banana Pewter
Banana Sterling
Pied
Pastel pied
Pastave Pied
Killer Pied
OD Pin Pied
OD Lemonblast Pied
Sterling Pied
Pewter Pied
And likely Silver Bullet and super Pewter Pied.
And I’ll have to see what else.
Here’s a Sandblast Pastave next to a Pastave DH Axanthic Pied.

4 Likes

Interesting. The sandblast pastave is remarkable. For just 3 genes at play, that’s a really unique snake.
I’ll have to try to dig up a pic from Trademark Exotics on a single gene sandblast.
Again thanks for the info.

2 Likes

I hate to be King Buzzkill here but I see all these extra morphs being thrown out as being in this animal with no real rhyme or reason or logic. I understand the eagerness to help, but baseless speculation creates more confusion than it does good. Without knowing the answer to this question:

…or, even more importantly, what the pairing was, then telling someone there animal has genes X, Y, Z at best gives them false hope and at worst opens the door for (possibly unintentional) fraud down the line.

I have made numerous BlkPewter and BlkPewter combos and I agree with both @saleengrinch and @wreckroomsnakes that nothing about this animal speaks to me as being anything other than a Pewter

8 Likes

Fully agree with you Travis. i feel like a lot people now buy an animal and think that they are seeing more than what the animal actually is and want to verify that they are correct. 99% of the time if they are reputable breeder and have been breeding for awhile they will tell you that there is a possibility of something else and this was the pairing.

8 Likes

I agree false hope only leads to let downs in the end. I have been there as I’m sure many others have as well. Never a buzz kill when your giving an honest and educated answer.

6 Likes

I’ve seen quite a few of these snakes in person at St. Louis shows. And I say pictures don’t do a lot of them justice. Truly some amazing looking snakes!

1 Like

Not exactly sure if this has to do with my guess from earlier on in this post but I get what you are saying 100%. Only reason I suggested sandblast is because from my understanding it washes out and fades certain combos. That being said I do agree giving out a random guess gives the person a false hope of it being something it is not.

2 Likes

The last time I spoke my mind on a thread like this (not this forum) I received a fair amount of angry/upset reply back that I was being a jerk and not contributing anything of substance. With the memory of that in mind, I tempered my reply here

There were a number of people throwing out opinions on morphs, it was a collective observation. I was not singling out anyone specific

4 Likes

I was just unsure because the person who sold her to me had like, 3 names on her container. I have no plans on breeding her, she’s just a sweet new pet. Regardless of what she is or isn’t, I’m still going to be happy with her lol. She has a great temperament and pretty coloring.

1 Like

The three names that the breeder had on the container would be the morphs the animal was carrying.

What names were listed?

Everyone skipped right over this answer :joy:

1 Like

Myself included LOL

I am guessing the label was probably BlkPastel Pewter (to differentiate it from a Cinny Pewter) YB. While it looks a little lower expression than the ones I have produced, I could see this being a BlkPewter YB. I could also see it just being a BlkPewter as well.

2 Likes

That’s the most important thing when you pick up any new reptile. Even if you plan to breed her, liking what you own makes it all worth it in the end, and she is very pretty.
At least I was right on the possible YB, 1 out of 3 isn’t bad :grimacing::joy:.

4 Likes

THANK YOU :joy: If I remembered exactly what it was I wouldn’t have made this post lolol.

1 Like

:rofl: :rofl: i read it, just pastel pewter didn’t really make any sense either. figured it was another guess. i think maybe the breeder meant black pastel pewter yb now.

1 Like

I’m still saying black pewter lol. I’ve produced quite a few black pewter ybs as well and I’m just not seeing it personally.