New baby, need help identifying morph

Recently purchased a sweet new baby. Just want a little help clarifying what morph she is. I know pewter for sure, just didn’t know if

that was it.

6 Likes

What was she sold as?

2 Likes

It looks to me like a very dirty pewter, maybe black pastel? :man_shrugging: Though there is very little chance someone working with black pastel is going to miss it in their clutch and undersell it.

Either way, it’s a damn good looking snake :wink:

3 Likes

Something else on top of pewter pixellating/disrupting the pattern IMO.

I’m not well enough versed to venture a guess, but I am interested to see what the experts have to say.

The dorsal stripe almost says Het Red Axanthic to me, but the pattern is to broken up for that.
Maybe Pewter Het Red Axanthic YB, or possibly Pewter GHI YB would be my guesses.
Definitely not just a Pewter from my experience with that combo.

2 Likes

I though Pewter GHI straight away by the pattern but the lack of yellows/gold’s made me question it :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

HRA was my first thought too but then I thought maybe sandblast?

1 Like

Sandblast crossed my mind too, but that would be the highest expression sandblast I’ve ever seen which made me dismiss it.

2 Likes

I think the Cinnamon and Het Red if it’s there would wash out the yellow gold of the GHI? I’m not sure tho as I have limited experience with GHI.

2 Likes

Well in my opinion I think HRA is the most likely because for some reason people that I know that have pewters also proved out HRA in them for whatever reason. I think because as babies it’s not as noticeable but once they color up it shows through.

1 Like

I’ve hatched quite a few pewter’s and they are highly variable. It’s looks like a black pewter to me. But it doesn’t look like a gargoyle to me. I would say black pewter. You would know if you bred it because a gargoyle is an act like super. So all of it’s offspring would have hra or the black pastel gene no normals.

3 Likes

Cinnamon and het red is a gargoyle. this does not look to be a gargoyle or even an onyx if it has black pastel.
As @saleengrinch stated pewters are highly variable and i would agree looks to be more black pewter.
@taylorhoman94 Have you contacted the breeder you purchased it from to verify the genetics?
For Reference
Onyx- black pastel het red

Gargoyle- cinnamon het red
7C383323-43A0-4A01-9ED7-7B812424921C

4 Likes

I know Cinnamon and Het Red is a Gargoyle.

What I was guessing was that GHI would break up the pattern of that particular Pewter. And with that dorsal stripe, it reminds me of Het Red was all I was saying.
Definitely more logical looking it as a Black Pewter I would agree.

1 Like

Wasn’t calling you out was just using it as a highlight to explain.

2 Likes

I know, I didn’t feel that you did at all :).
Just explaining why I thought those genes were present, no worries Mary.

3 Likes

Looks like a Pastel Red Axanthic or a dirty pewter :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

They said it was maybe pastel pewter yb? I was so excited to buy her I forgot what exactly they said. I know, stupid haha

I personally don’t see any Sandblast, and if it was in there it is very very minimal expression.

It looks like a typical Black Pewter with something else like YB. No way to tell without parental info.

Here’s a Sandblast Pewter for reference.

6 Likes

That’s night and day comparison. You would definitely have the eye for sandblast that I would take your word on that.
Thanks for the correction, I’ve worked with sandblast only a few times and I definitely don’t have the experience with that morph that you do. I thought the broken up pattern could have displayed a high expression of sandblast, but in that combo you can clearly see that it does the opposite.
Good to know, thanks Brandon.

2 Likes

If you want the sandblast Id ask the man who discovered the trait right!

3 Likes