New Ball python morph identification

I agree! It is when you start creating combos that it gets really hard sometimes, because of the way some morphs react with each other. On this particular one I couldn’t give any 100% id. I do think the breeder is correct but with a morph like champagne it can be almost impossible unless you know for certain the parents genes. Even then it can be tough with a multi gene combo. What makes champagne so tough is it is a very dominant morph, but also super variable. I have seen very dark looking champagnes or some that you would think were pied with a huge ringer! Since this one is so washed out in pattern and color you can assume pastel is among the morphs, and fire adds a lot more brightness and can fade out pattern in some cases as well. In single gene here are some traits to look for: Yellow belly it’s not all about the speckling along the sides of the belly, (that’s the most obvious one everyone knows) also it makes the pattern more irregular and busy in some cases and tends to produce orangish flames coming up from the belly instead of white like in pastels and others. Fire almost always has a headstamp or faded head spot and is brighter of course, but also can throw more blocky, fuzzy looking side patterns. You were correct with the Enchi eye stripe being a great hint!

4 Likes

I would LOVE for you to do that. It would help me so much in learning how you ID morphs, especially how each morph in a combo influences the appearance influences. Like pattern disrupters, blushing, saddles, eye stripe, eye color, headstamp, etc. I feel like I’ve hit a brick wall once there is more than one morph. I do actively search examples on MM after making a guess but variability in level of expression makes me throw my hands up in defeat.

3 Likes

This is what I just love about this place! There are so many beautiful people here willing to help one another! :heart::blush:

4 Likes

Thank you very much for the explanation, I learned a lot :pray:

3 Likes

Thank you for your id and explanation, i glas we have this forum…

2 Likes

We are so glad you are here! :heart::pray:

3 Likes