New ball python owner questions

Sup guys i am new to ball python keeping i have yellowbelly pastel female i think shes like 4 months old…i am useing reptichip for beding…shes has a heatmat on hot side set at 92f probe is under her on glass…i also have a deep heat emitter 80 w seting over her hide on hot side temp reads about 98 to 100 f…hide is black…checked with temp gun… humidity is seting at 43%…i got her on Wednesday the breeder said she get feed on Fridays…should i try to feed her now or wait? Ambient is 75 to 80f…is there anything i should improve on?? Any tips would be appreciated sorry for the long post this will be a lifelong pet shes in a 40 gallon breeder all sides are blacked out and top of the mesh screen is taped off besides where the heat lamp is… she never comes out of her hide maybe at night she dose? Maybe i should check on her dont want to stress her out

1 Like

Welcome to the forum! I would wait at least several more days before offering her a meal, preferably whatever the breeder has been feeding. I would put a hide on the cool side as well, plus some fake plants to clutter up and make her feel safe. The humidity should be around 50 to 60 percent. Mr bps are in tubs so I am not sure about the heat lamp you have but imho, it seems like your heat is too high? Others will give you more precise advice on this because I could be mistaken.

The main thing is to make sure she feels secure/ safe enough in her enclosure to eat. Do not start handling her until she is eating consistently, maybe after 3 or 4 feedings. The idea is not to stress her out.

I’m sure others will come along with great advice for you and her! Best of luck with your new girl! :snake::blush:

1 Like

Hi and welcome.

As @caron says, That sounds a bit too hot to me. but at least it can move to cooler areas

As @caron says, I would go for a little bit higher humidity.
I guess caron said it all but I just wanted to welcome you really

Thanks guys

1 Like

Should i move the heat lamp away from her hide it reading 102 on the top part of her hide maybe mover heat lamp in the middle of tank? To heat the whole tank?

1 Like

Welcome to the community. Do you have pictures of the setup? Also yes the temps are too high hot side should be no hotter than 90 and cool side should be between 77-80. Humidity needs to be bewteen 60-65 and when in shed higher around 70-75.

Heres some pictures i think i should move the heat lamp in middle of cage to heat the whole enclosure…i just took a temp reading on top of her hide its 101f. What u think

1 Like

Really good start i would fill in more clutter as well plants and a log maybe. But yes you can definitely move the lamp more in the middle and you have the lamp that you can adjust the temp as well so i would lower that little by little to get the correct temps. Again welcome to the community and we would love pics of the little one when settled in!

1 Like

Also forgot to mention get the temps of the substrate on each side that is the temp you want to know since that is what they are sitting on and make sure on the hot side if they decide to burrow to the glass make sure the temp on the glass is not too hot as well.

2 Likes

The got side is definitely to hot. You may not need the lamp to reach the correct temperature range. I would not go above 90 for the got side. Better to be around 87.this would be the surface temp.
50% for humidity is the desired area. Going up to 60, 70 during shedding time. Having the humidity permanent around 60 will also work.
Ball pythons mostly use the inside of the hides. If ontop it is to get away from the heat, as mine do from time to time.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply the hot temp floor is 85 to 90f cool side floor is 73f…the temp under heatmat is 92 to 91 f…my light has a dimmer on it …so i can lower power…gonna move lamp in the middle of tank…

1 Like

Thank for the reply i am gonna move the lamp to middle of tank…i would differently need a heat lamp this summer my mom and dad keeps the house very cold with ac…also we get cold winters here i am in ohio

1 Like

Temp on glass is 92 where heat mat is i have a probe taped to it in enclosure

1 Like

Hey there, it’s a better idea to keep the heat lamp on one side of the tank, because what you’re going for is to have one side with heat, then a cooler gradient over to the other side, sort of like a scale from 1-10 deal, so your noodle can pick what temperature they want to be at. You’ve got a great start!

Don’t worry if you don’t see her very much at first. She did just get here, and once she has had quiet time to get used to the regular sounds and light cycle of your home, you’ll probably see her more often. You’re doing great! This place has a lot of the best advice.

1 Like