New BP not flicking tongue

So, I just picked up a new Ball a week ago. We have yet to see a tongue flick. We haven’t really held it much other than to just check on it to make sure thing everything is well. It is moving around at night like normal but even with the camera I hid in the tub we are not seeing any tongue flicks while it moves around. Seem odd to me I would love to hear your thoughts on this. Thanks in advance!

5 Likes

I currently have a male who can’t flick his tongue. I took him to the vet and they couldn’t find anything wrong with him. I can actually see the muscles move under his chin but his tongue never flicks. I had to assist feed him 3 times but now he eats like a champ everytime and besides the tongue thing he is completely healthy. You might want to take it to the vet just to make sure it’s not blockage or something else that can be treated. Is he eating?

5 Likes

He snubbed a feeding yesterday. I think we are gonna reach out to a vet and see if they can find anything. Also thinking about giving him a soak because he seems a little dehydrated. I just don’t want to stress him out too much

2 Likes

Hi and welcome to the forums, I hope the vet says its nothing to worry about.

3 Likes

My bet would be that he’s stressed.

2 Likes

Yeah that’s kinda where I am at with this as well. I just have never experienced this reaction. This is also my first pied and albino. I noticed today that the first quarter of his body is kinda pink so I am figuring he is about to shed. I again have never seen it in person. I love these animals. I generally take them to the vet for a once over anyway before ending their quarantine period so I guess we will go early this time. Lol

2 Likes

Excellent that you have your animals given a check-up by the vet. In this case though, I wouldn’t rush the vet visit. Let your new little guy settle in. Avoid handling him. The stress likely isn’t a medical issue but rather related to his new environment. Taking him to the vet now is likely only going to further stress him. Let him get adjusted and ease into his new digs and then you can take him for the check-up.

2 Likes

Thanks for the tip. I think your right. I told my wife we will check his water clean up any mess and walk away for the next week.

2 Likes