New female BEL, Ivy

New BEL I received on Wednesday. I named her Ivy, she hates everyone right now, very snappy. :joy: Hopefully in a few days/week she will be accustomed to her new enclosure and let me handle her. I read they usually grow out of the snapping and read some ways to help . I guess I got lucky with my first one who is the sweetest.

5 Likes

She’s beautiful!

At that size she’s going to be nervous in that much open space for a while. Try adding a couple hides that you can’t see into and that should calm her down a little bit. Ball pythons are nervous little buggers in open spaces until they hit about a year usually.

2 Likes

Thank you.! In the pic her hide is pulled out so it looks like she has a bunch of open space but I pushed it against the back with a little space if she wants to get out. :slightly_smiling_face:She has two hides, a water bowl, some plants, a branch. I made sure to pack it as she went from a tub to a tank. It’s only a 10 gallon but a lot bigger than what she is used to.

2 Likes

Perfect you’ve got it under control :+1:

2 Likes

Bels are super cool! I love them, I am sure you will be happy with her!

2 Likes

The skull she has doesn’t count as a hide, as it has more than one opening. I recommend blacking out 3 sides of her tank, and adding a lot of fake plants as cover if you plan on keeping her in a tank that big. Make sure to leave her alone for 2 weeks before handling, and don’t handle until she feeds solidly.

2 Likes

What a beautiful ball python. Thats good that you have a hide including the skull. Looks great and that little python will settle in just fine. Ten gallon tank in my experience is just fine. People have different opinions but my male ball python which is an adult started in a 40 breeder from a tiny baby and did just fine with 2 hides.

2 Likes

She has a lot of plants already, I pushed her one plant down so it covers the back of skull. She goes between both hides, so she seems to like it. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Thank you.! :two_hearts: I made sure to put a lot of stuff so she doesn’t feel she’s in a huge open area.

1 Like

This is her area :blush:

2 Likes

Looks like a ball python paradise!

3 Likes

She ate, shed and went #2. I was able to hold her without any snapping. I think she liking her new area now. :heart_eyes:

3 Likes