New Laws In Florida

I’m not sure this has been discussed already but. I’m sure most of you are aware of the tegu ban in florida. I wasn’t aware of the ongoing legal battle USARK is participating in to protect the future up until a few weeks ago. I had no idea that they were going after retic breeding , ASF and rabbit breeding just to name a few. I understand florida and the warmer climate areas are affected by certain challenges that others don’t face. But these laws are being passed foolishly and could set precedent else where. I’m not directly affected but I’d love a Tegu one day and hope I still have that opportunity.

This is why it is important that people keep supporting USARK, ever since HHR669 in 2008 animal right activists have been lobbying very hard to take away people’s right to own reptiles, they have become wiser and have since attack easier targets but ultimately we can all be target we have in the past HHR669 was proof of thar, and the only organisation that can protect us is USARK

5 Likes

So what is the conclusion like on Retics and their stuff??

I personally can understand having laws and regulations put in place in states like Florida since if animals were to be released (like the tegu already has been, along with others) it can destroy the ecosystem and lead to extinctions of already vulnerable species. I know many Northern states are unlikely to get hit with much, and most of it would probably be geared towards regulations on larger “dangerous” reptiles. Like how you need a license in Ohio for retics, Burmese pythons, and anacondas and if you do have them you have to microchip them.

2 Likes

I do understand compromise but they are trying to push these things through with little concern for legit business owners in the area. Instead of making rules they are pushing for all out bans. Not giving guidelines just cease and desist, have a good day. I understand florida has problems but if I specialized in breeding retics and feeding/selling rabbits. I’m being told what I’m doing is now illegal and I no longer am in business.

Tegus in florida arnt the problem the 600 dollar Tegu in Petco is the problem. Too many irresponsible people getting monster lizards.

2 Likes

Banning them technically solves that problem and keeps stupid people from getting them. Though I do agree that instead of outright banning them, that putting regulations in place that makes you get proper licenses to own them and to have proper enclosures that have to be inspected (much like what is done with venomous snakes, as they even need hurricane proof enclosures) would solve the issue as well. Keeps things from getting released and causing even more damage, while also protecting the hobby for those that have the means to properly care for them.

5 Likes

If the breeders in Florida are banned, places like Petco would just sell half dead imports stolen from the wild.

Respectfully, regardless of the species, regardless of where they are, invasive species are absolutely a problem: Tegus breeding in the wild in FL, lionfish breeding in the reefs along the eastern seaboard, feral pigs tearing up the Texas back country, etc. All of these are a problem. Denying the invasive nature of these animals does nothing to support our cause and just makes us look like ignorant, arrogant, unreasonable outcasts. Which only play into the hands of the animal rights groups that, piece by piece, are pushing the legislation to fully ban everything

Under the new FL law they now would not be able to because FL F&W is no longer issuing new RoC permits. So, whether it was import or CBB, no one could legally buy a RoC. Only people who currently hold a RoC permit are allowed to maintain those RoC permits under a renewal basis until such time as the animals presently listed on it are sold or die. No new animals are allowed to be added to existing RoC permits

2 Likes

They would come in to another state. The issue isn’t keeping Tegus in FL, the issue is that a lot of reptile breeders are in FL. Who supply captive bred to the rest of us. I do understand the harm invasive species do, I don’t think Florida will ever be able get rid of all the snakes and lizards, but who knows? The most invasive animal is the domestic cat, they will be hard to get rid of too.

I’m not saying invasive species arnt a problem. But because one person let it into the wild does not make me responsible for it just because I breed them. But I will be and ask for more regulation. I have the potential to release my whole collection and nothing is stopping me from releasing anything but me. They should be more regulated so they don’t have that opportunity, ie. Records, license and some sort of tracking system. I’m asking for regulation to help control invasive species not eradication of the trade.

One of my Twitter acquaintances is in Florida & has several reptiles. Their female green iguana passed away from old age shortly before the new bans went into effect. They had to fill out dozens of pages of forms & get a microchip for their elderly male, with some sent back repeatedly for errors caused by vague wording in the questions. I remember also they talked about fees, lots of filing fees. It took them like two weeks to get it all done, for one non-breeding animal they will not be able to replace when the iguana finally passes on.