New MM Team Member

Hello!
Thomas advised I should introduce myself. I am quite introverted, though I am not new to forums, I am new to this specific forum. My name is Leah and I live in New Mexico, US. I am a full time wildlife biologist and I started working for Dubia.com in July of last year. I work mostly with bats, but I do work with all native New Mexico species. I have quite a bit of “down time” that tends to be seasonal and I was going stir crazy at home. Luckily, Darien thought I would be a good fit and I have been here ever since. I started as a 911 dispatcher in 2007 and joined the Air Force in 2012. I did 6 years in the Air Force as a 2T2 Air Transportation - though I did a year as security forces before I decided to get out. I was a civilian dispatcher for an Army base after that until I got my degree in Wildlife Biology & Conversation. I started as a wildlife biologist and never looked back. My time working for Dubia.com has been really great and keeps my mind going. I am very used to fast paced and helping people so, it’s a no brainer. I volunteered to help out with Morph Market once it transitioned to Darien as the new owner so - here I am! Thanks to my experience as a 911 dispatcher as well as my military experience, balancing aircraft and such, I am pretty good with a computer. I am very grateful for such a great remote position and quality team members now on both sides.

I have kept captive reptiles since 2007. I started on BP.net so many years ago, with my shiny new normal ball python. I have branched out to several species over the years but I do tend to keep my collection reasonable as I do not breed and I prefer quality > quantity - space wise in my home. Otherwise, personally, I’m just a nerd. I like video games - currently hyper fixating on Fallout New Vegas…again, reading, staying at home in my Pjs, wildlife rehab that I am qualified for, working out because I have to…

Anyways, I’ll attach some photos! Just some of me and my critters. Feel free to ask questions if you choose :slight_smile:

15 Likes

Glad you finally introduced yourself Leah! You have an amazing background and an interesting assortment of animals! Even though you have been here awhile welcome welcome welcome! :blush:

7 Likes

Welcome!
Lovely to have more team :black_heart:

Though… Unfortunately I can only see your legs.
:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

7 Likes

Welcome leah, glad to have you part of the team. Were a bunch of nerds too, lol. I’d recommend a video game called outriders, we have a lot of fun with that game as of late. Lol

8 Likes

Welcome from a fellow airman! I spent my 4 year career at Holloman in Alamogordo. Great to have you in the family. And I see you have a tarantula!

6 Likes

I will nerd out with you on bats any time. Such cool animals!

6 Likes

That is great! That was my last base, and how I ended up in New Mexico. I am contracted at Holloman and WSMR as a wildlife biologist - though most of my work is on WSMR. I work all over the state though! And thank you for your service :smile:

6 Likes

Welcome! I am also from New Mexico. My family moved up from the Yucatan to that region around 500 years ago and we’ve lived there ever since. It’s a wonderful state.

6 Likes

Welcome, Leah! Glad to officially welcome you. Love the menagerie, huge fan of bats. Thank you very kindly for your service. It’s much appreciated.

5 Likes

What kind of bats do you work with?

Also welcome to our family @leah-admin. I hope that you like it here. Also, I hope to see you more active on here. :wink:

7 Likes

Thank you! I work with all native bats in New Mexico. The most common ones I see are pallid, Mexican free-tailed, and western/California myotis…though there are over 20 species that migrate through and reside here :hugs: (These are all rescues that went to my boss, who also runs a licensed rehab)

10 Likes

I like the little guy with the big ears! Once upon a time we lived in a very old Victorian home with a colony of bats :bat: in the attic. Occasionally one would find its way inside the house and we would hear the little bat babies cheeping for their momma……

6 Likes

That’s a pallid bat! They’re a personal favorite. They remind me of Gremlins :relaxed:

6 Likes

Welcome Leah! I also adore the big eared bat boy.
Your tarantula is so gorgeous!! I love blacks. Thank you for sharing your story, you’ve had a rad couple of experiences it sounds like! I hope you enjoy being a part of this awesome community. Also, thank you for your service.

6 Likes

I love the first one! He is super cute with the bicolor look to him.

6 Likes

They’re all adorable! I love bats. Used to build and mount bat houses with my students. We put up a lot after hurricanes would roar through and tear up the woods.

8 Likes