New Reptile Room On The Way

I’ve started work on a room to move my reptiles into so that I can get them out of my bedroom. This room will be in my basement and will eventually house 4 hognoses, 1 ball python, 1 blue tongue skink, and two other reptiles that I still haven’t decided on. The corner with the animals is about 10ft long, 7 feet tall and 6 feet wide, so just enough space to hold four 4 x 2 x 2 PVCs and a little shelving unit of enclosures with hognoses in them. In terms of work I need to do, I’d like to get a bit more light in the room, get a space heater to up the ambient temperature from about 60 to the mid 70’s in the winter, maybe get a humidifier to keep the room from getting too dry in the winter, drylok the walls and paint over them, and fix the concrete floor to make it more waterproof. I also have an industrial sink that I never use but that I could probably fix up, so I’ll clean it and get it working again to make watering and cleaning the animals much simpler. Now, here is a photo of what the room looks like right now. Apologies that the lighting makes it look like a crime scene photo on a true crime documentary :sweat_smile:

7 Likes

I’m hoping to complete the room by summer so I can move my animals down there in June.

Have fun setting up your reptile room. Lighting a basement room is fairly frustrating, so whatever you figure out be sure to share for us fellow basement dwellers.

2 Likes

Thanks, I’ll make sure to share. There is a little bit of natural light that comes in from other rooms, so that helps. I am installing LED lights though so that’ll for sure brighten this place up. The basement is definitely habitable for humans and animals like dogs and cats right now, I just need to make sure it’s fit for reptiles. I’m gonna want to make sure everything is sealed and waterproof and keep the ambient temp up. Otherwise, it’s fairly finished for a basement.

2 Likes

Cool, you’ll have to post updated photos as you make progress.

1 Like

I definitely will. It really worked out as it’s one of the few areas in the basement with an outlet and it just so happens to be the exact dimensions that I needed to fit all my reptiles.

1 Like