New reptiles

So I’ve always owned geckos and anoles but lately I’ve been wanting to get into the snake game, I want a colubrid but idk which species or where to get them

1 Like

North American colubrids such as Corn Snakes, ratsnakes, kingsnakes, milksnakes, Bullsnakes and Gopher snakes are all easy to care for and great choices for a first time snake owner. Out of the snakes mentioned, Corn Snakes almost always have good temperaments and there are many morphs to choose from, whereas the Bull and Gopher snakes are good choices if you would like a larger snake. I’d recommend browsing the ads in the “Other Snake” section and picking out a few of your favorites to research.

As for where to get them, we can’t recommend breeders on the forums, but if you’d like to PM with exactly what you are looking for, I can make a recommendation privately.

6 Likes

yes that would help

I agree that corn snakes and rat snakes would be good. African house snakes are often easy to care for (once established) and make great pets. If you aren’t set on a colubrid you could look into kenyan sand boas.

2 Likes

im only set on colubrids bc im not so sure abt the BPs

1 Like

Despite what’s said BPs don’t make the best first snakes. They are rarely out, picky eaters, and you can’t handle them as often as most owners would like.

2 Likes

Its a debate between ribbon snakes or gopher snakes

1 Like

Have you considered a BI? The males typically don’t get very large and they eat like a machine.

2 Likes

Go with gopher snakes. Ribbon snakes are mostly wild caught and even in captivity rarely live over 10 years. They also don’t always eat rodents. Gopher snakes can be a bit feisty however.

2 Likes

The males don’t get large, they still are intimidating because of their strength. Personally I would also recommend a BI. They make absolutely wonderful pets! But one thing I would say is just make sure that you feel comfortable with a snake that is 5 feet possibly more with time.

I will add a picture later of my male boa with me to give a size potential. Obviously don’t overfeed because then they can get larger/fatter.

3 Likes

Wait which one is BI?

It is the common boa constrictor, so not a colubrid.

1 Like

Ohhhh yes that i might take that into consideration

2 Likes

Lol boas have become colubrids! :rofl:

2 Likes

They still aren’t active enough during the day to compete with how hyper colubrids are lol.

1 Like

There a very considerable but its a little too big, At VERY most 6 feet is the limit

1 Like

Do take them into consideration because it does take them a while to even get there.

They do eventually get to 6 feet though, if not bigger. It is best to not get a snake that can get big if you aren’t comfortable/ don’t have the space for it. They also aren’t thin things like rat snakes, and do have a lot of power behind them as well. Takes a lot more effort to handle them.

1 Like

I one hundred percent agree! There is a big difference between a baby boa and that of an adult. If size is truly a limiting factor, then maybe consider a dwarf boa. Males do stay thinner/have less girth but also less length.

1 Like

How would you guys recommend water snakes or african house snakes