New retic set up

3 Likes

62.5 dwarf Monchino ^

Love it, such a clean one

Beautiful retic, congrats.
How old is he?

Just over a year or so

Closer to two year mark, he’s eating rat weanlings every 7 days

Please keep us updated on his growth and his major updates!!

That’s a good feed schedule for that prey size. Nice pickup again and enjoy him, I remember you saying you’re new to retics and I can’t wait to hear more of how you like the experience. For me nothing compares, congratulations again and keep us updated :grin:.

They are super interesting snakes you can see how intelligent they are and how they get to know your schedule. I’ve watch a bunch of videos from n.e.r.d and always thought Kevin was being over the top on how intelligent they are boy was I wrong. Now I want more I love my boas but I’m done buying boas I’m
Moving over to the Reticulated python world. Just need a bigger house so I can keep them all housed properly I love giving these snakes space to explore the ones I have are always on the move and hanging off of all the branches

1 Like

They definitely are very intelligent, almost freaky how smart these snakes are.

I’ve found they will use the entire enclosure, so the bigger the better. Obviously you’ll have to upgrade them as they grow, they do like small spaces and some will act a little more defensive if housed in an enclosure that’s to big. But as adults there doesn’t seem to be a standard size, the bigger the better. But make sure you have a solid plan because bigger enclosures are harder to heat and maintain humidity. But since you own boas I’m sure you’re familiar with those issues.

I would recommend tho, stay to one retic for awhile and make sure it’s something you want to commit to. They are an amazing species but you need to work with them everyday to keep them tame and let them know you’re in charge. They also require a lot of maintenance as they can spill their water dishes almost every day and how often they pee can get annoying. So before you jump in just make sure you have the time for each one, they are very demanding but also very rewarding.

1 Like

I bought one then few weeks after bought the other lol I take them out a lot both have great attitudes . My female definitely has major feed response so I just a little rub with my small hook and she’s all good. The mochino is amazing he has no issues with you being in his tank I still use the hook before I go in just in case

1 Like

Here is my female

2 Likes

I did the same thing with my first retic years ago. About 2 weeks after I purchased him, I bought a 75% Jampea male. After those couple of weeks of owning my first retic, I knew they were the species I wanted to work with and keep the most.

I think that’s a good idea to continue the hook training of your retic. My female is the same way, I can pick her up like a ball python. But I always touch her first for a couple of seconds with the hook just to continue training and establish a routine. These snakes are way to smart and reactive not to train them consistently.
Good looking female by the way.

2 Likes