New retic set up

Hey about to set up a tank for my retic now I’m not using a bin I’ll be putting her in a tank. I’m seeing a lot of people doing bio active tanks was thinking of setting up a tank like this for my retic maybe not 100% bio active but pretty close to it. Also talking to other people it seems as young snakes they love to climb so I plan for this tank to be slightly higher so I can set up branches so she can climb and a nice area for her to swim with areas for basking and cool spots and hides spread out. I’m not new to snakes or reptiles just new to retics and would like to think what people with experience think thank you

Don’t waste your money right now. That retic is going to quickly outgrow that tank.

I already have the supplies at the house I don’t need buy anything. She is a 62.5 sd I know she will still grow quick but I’ll have some time .

1 Like

If she’s 62.6 SD then she wont grow quickly.


If I am not mistaken, she will likely cap out at about 8’. Retics are semi-arboreal so a slightly more vertical tank than you usually see for snakes would be incredible for her. I am kinda new, but that is my understanding of it.

Tanks are set up, they are all taller tanks so they can climb and do there thing. She will most likely get to the 12ft mark at the most and my male that I picked up a few weeks might stay around that size

Wait, murphy18, would a 62% SD retic still get to 12’? I myself am considering one but I thought 62%+ would be smaller?

The mom is just about 12ft so the breeder told me she has the potential of getting that size but it’s really not much bigger then a adult female true red tail boa. I personally believe a large female boa we feel like a much larger snake just due to thickness of the snake. I know there are much smaller sd retics out there but I really liked this girl when I saw her

It all depends on feeding schedule and prey size, and the size of the parents.
I’ve seen 75% super dwarf retics at 13 feet. And on the other side I’ve seen 25% dwarfs at 9ft.
Retic super dwarf and dwarf percentages are highly misunderstood, do your research before you buy any retic. Talk to the breeder about the parents and try to get photos, that will show you more than anything what that particular retic could grow to. And then after that it’s in your hands to not over feed.

If your male ends up being 12ft, even if it was a pure mainland, you’d be feeding him way to much.
Most adult mainland males if fed properly, are at a very healthy length of 8-10ft. In the wild it takes males about 6 years to reach 8ft, if they ever do.
Number 1 problem with retics in this hobby is over feeding.

Mainland males can still get quite big if fed conservatively, many of the morphs come from smaller lineages so they will only get a fraction of “longest snake in the world” size, but for something like a regular tiger or albino, 12-14+ feet is not un-reasonable, yeah breeders often start breeding males around 5-8 feet, but many of those larger bloodlines will keep growing slow&steadily for many years before the growth rate dramatically drops off.

It’s not common to see giant males from breeders because they have a revolving door of male breeders, every few years their males are replaced by males with more genes, or more desirable colors/traits.

I would agree with that, the problem lies with most don’t conservatively feed their retics.
Tiger and albino are exceptions, tiger is the largest and longest morph besides the record of the 33ft retic from 1912 which I recall was a Sulawesi.
All retics can reach gargantuan lengths, and all constantly grow their entire lives.
Like stated before the problem is over feeding, which to many do with retics. Even Prehistoric Pets has a good informational video about retic growth rate and how it’s linked to over feeding.

1 Like

Quite a few bloodlines have the potential to get big, I wouldn’t necessarily say that Albino and tigers are exceptions; however, I do agree overfeeding is the main problem.

A male retic from a large bloodline will still take many many years to reach a large size when fed conservatively.

1 Like

Very true, good piece of information I think many new retic keepers are unaware of.

Sorry I guess there was a misunderstanding about my male I was saying my male will most likely stay at the 8foot size He is 62.5 dwarf so I can’t imagine him getting much larger then that.

Do you know how large his dam( or mother) was? That plays a huge role in their overall size.
Being a male tho, I’d expect him to stay around that size, especially with SD/D blood in him.
Congratulations too by the way, retics are amazing and very rewarding to keep.

Whoops, you already mentioned his mom was around 12ft, yep he should stay relatively small. Just don’t over feed :grin:

The only thing this thread is missing is photos :stuck_out_tongue:

Yeah dad was just about 8ft and mom was 10 or so, I’ll get some pictures of him today and post it here