New to cornsnakes- could use some advice

Alright, so in April last year, I got my first pet reptile, a cornsnake I named Montgomery. He’s a little over a year now, but I’m worried I messed up his food somehow because he looks a bit too small, especially if he’s supposed to be around 4ft by three years old. I’d put him at around 20 inches or so as of yesterday. I’ve been feeding him pinkies for now, and I’m not entirely sure when to switch to the next size up.

(Really hope I didn’t mess anything up, it is my first time owning a reptile of any kind and nobody I know has one as a pet so I’m not sure where else to ask)

5 Likes

Hello and welcome! I’d say pinkies sound a bit small as prey for a yearling, do you know how much he weighs? This is the best way to determine what size you should be feeding.

5 Likes

I’m not entirely sure, but I could definitely weigh him real quick

4 Likes

Weighing him is definitely the first step. I generally point new keepers to charts such as this for a good idea of what feeders to offer and when to size up:

5 Likes

Oh that should be helpful! Also good to know he’s at that nice bread loaf shape. Thanks!

4 Likes

You’re welcome, sounds like good body condition, for sure!

4 Likes

Gotta save that chart!

Oh, and we need snake pictures.

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum! I agree with noodlehaus, pinkies are almost certainly too small for him at this point. Weighing him with a cheap gram scale will be the most precise way of determining the best size and schedule for him, but if you don’t have one yet, you can eyeball the prey size in the meantime. An ideal prey size for a growing corn is between 1 to 1.5 times as wide as the widest part of the snake.

4 Likes

Finally found my scale, and he’s around 31 grams, so definitely glad I asked about giving him bigger prey

Also snake pics

Not the best quality pick since my phone camera isn’t great but this is him getting weighed on the scale
6 Likes

Your picture isn’t showing up for me. At 31 grams, he can be eating a fuzzy. Or if you still have some pinkies left, you can feed him doubles.

Edited to say I can see it now. He looks great! Not thin.

4 Likes