Newb trying to understand sand boa genetics

Hi all. I am not new to snakes but i am new to wanting to understand the genetics and begin breeding. My goal is to produce paradox albino and anery babies. This was my plan until I discovered the snow option. I was going to purchase a paradox albino 100% het anery female and a anery 100% het paradox albino. Breed them and hopefully get colorful babies. Then i started reading about snows. So would i just get a male and female snow? What pairing would be best to achieve the results i want? Thanks to all for helping a newb out!

Pairing a paradox albino het anery female with an anery het paradox albino male, you could expect 25% of the offspring to be paradox snow (visual representation of paradox albino and anery), 25% paradox albino het anery, 25% anery het paradox albino, and 25% normal het paradox snow (het for paradox albino and anery).

1 Like

KSB are wonderful little fish bait Boas. Regarding what will help you achieve your desired results, what offspring are you hoping to produce? If you want to produce a variety you’ll want to avoid getting a male and female paradox snow, otherwise all you’ll produce is more paradox snows. Your initial plan of a female paradox albino het anery and a male anery het paradox snow is the best way to get the full spectrum of possible visual outcomes.

Ok. Next questions. I am pretty sure i am going to purchase a female paradox albino het anery and a male anery het paradox albino. This is a language question. I understand the 66% het, thats a 66% chance. I want 100%. So when the snake is advertised if it just says “female paradox albino het anery” then it is 100%, right? Also are the sellers on here pretty trustworthy as far as getting the genetics you are paying for? Anyone have any breeder recomendations?

One would assume that if it says “het” that it would be 100% het. Don’t leave it up to assumptions though. Read the details within the ad, ask the seller outright for clarification if you can’t find anything in the ad, and ask what the pairing was that created that animal so you can have an idea. As far as trust, I would say to check their reputation in the marketplace, other social media, or just talk to the seller and get a feel. Specific seller recommendations are not permitted within the forums out of respect for the rules.

I thank you for taking the time to answer my questions. I am sure i will have a million more on this genetics journey.

If your specifically looking to breed KSB’s i would think about starting with 2 females vs a 1.1 due to females taking longer to reach maturity. This would allow you another project, and to find a compatible male for both of them a year later!

Yes! That is just the excuse i need to get another snake! Love the way you think.

There is always room for just one more! XD

1 Like

Definitely. Just picked this one up today. Bad pic.

She is an Albino GX Paint het Anery, from Scott Miller

2 Likes

She is gorgeous! Wow her color is so bright.

One more question guys…language again. What is the 1.1, 0.1 and 1.0 mean? I am guessing it has to do with male/female…but not sure.

Male.Female.Unsexed. If you have 1 male 3 females and an unsexed it would be counted as 1.3.1
If you just got a new reptile for example and you don’t know what sex it is it would be known as 0.0.1
If you don’t have any unsexed it’s common to only have male and female but always have male first female second and if added an unsexed last. So a 1.1 would be a male and a female a 0.1 would be a female and a 1.0 would be one male.

1 Like

Thank you so much

1 Like

Oh wow!!! What a beauty, what are your plans with her? Anrey GX paint, or longer term plans? At some point I really need to pick your brain on Mullers sand boas, I am currently growing out a 1.2 in hopes of producing CB specimens in the future!

Her first job is to help me prove the genetics of an unusual looking male I’m holding back from a het GX Paint x Stripe het GX Paint clutch. After that I will probably incorporate her into my GX Paint Snow project.

I am quite familiar with the basic care of Sahara Sand Boas, but I have never attempted to breed them. It’s my understanding that they are easy to breed but the eggs are super hard to hatch out. It’s a challenge just to transfer them to the incubator without destroying them.