NHC '23, clutches of confusion!

The clutch wasn’t, but they’re a wee bit early. Only 58 days into incubation, if they’re actually pipping and it’s not just another one leaking ahead of time. Her first clutch this season went to 67 days, I think.

As for the assist feeders, yeah, they’re already pretty behind but I didn’t want to wait any longer. Almost 2 months post-hatch with no interest in food was getting a little ridiculous. Hoping they just needed the metabolic jumpstart.

4 Likes

Well I hope the pipping goes well and they aren’t hatching prematurely! I’m excited to see the babies as well!

I have read in several different places that on occasion some baby snakes don’t recognize food as food? So they literally have to be physically “introduced” to it to get the feeding response going?

4 Likes

Time will tell. Even if it is a leak, they usually do just fine so long as they’re left alone.

I’m not sure how accurate that is, but I’m a take no chances kind of person. Every opportunity to start eating will be given, but no starving to death on my watch. We’ll see if it changes their attitudes towards feeding or not.

4 Likes

Yep! I agree! Corn babies are so tiny anyway so they don’t have much to gamble with when they don’t eat right out of the gate! I am hoping they will both get the message and start scarfing down those pinks for you soon @noodlehaus! :pray:

And fingers crossed :crossed_fingers: for those sweet little eggers too!!! :heart:

3 Likes

Seems this little one’s egg did a similar thing to Leaky’s, in that there is a hole but it is not a pip. Thankfully the fluid congealed, stopping the leak. I’ve decided to nickname this little one Bung for now because of it. :joy: There is verifiable movement in the egg yet, so no worries here!

4 Likes

I’m glad ! That’s a relief that little Bung is safe in his little “Bung” alow! :blush::pray::crossed_fingers:

3 Likes

:rofl: love it, @caron! This clutch has had some humidity issues, so there was some cracking in the calcium layer of the shells. I assume the membrane layer under one of those cracks finally gave way as they’ve gotten closer to hatching. As of now, if you were to look at the clutch, you would not be able to tell outright which egg had the leak.

3 Likes

Well I’m sending positive thoughts to the little noodle eggers for healthy hatching! :blush:

3 Likes

Based on the size, color, and texture of the eggs, in addition to how they candle, I’d say within the next 7 days we should have pips.

4 Likes

Upon using the tail candling method to double-check the sexes of both clutches, turns out you can accurately use it on Aneries. Fireworks clutch is 9.5, Azula’s is 6.9, giving me a pretty even 15.14 right now!

4 Likes

Hope you soon have pippies. Very exciting, always!

4 Likes

In the words of @caryl, “Pip, pip, hooray!”

5 Likes

Pip day twins! :raised_hands:

4 Likes

These babies have some impeccable aim! The first one split the “A” on their egg in half, this one went for the line!

5 Likes

Eggsciting day for some eggscellent babies @noodlehaus! :+1::pray::heart::heart::sunglasses::white_check_mark::100:

4 Likes

That’s a great closeup, @noodlehaus! Congratulations!!

2 Likes

Lol :joy:, love that :rofl:

4 Likes

The little one I called Bung has now pipped!

4 Likes

Perfect little bunghole!

4 Likes

Overachiever needed two bungholes for maximum exit capabilities :joy:

5 Likes