NHC '23, clutches of confusion!

Continuing the discussion from Noodle Haus '23, another leaky egg?:

As the previous thread has gotten a bit long, continuing here for easier reading. Tried to get new photos of the Fireworks clutch now that most have had their second shed, it definitely did not go to plan. I’ll have to retry the snows another day, but here’s all the Anery little ones! In order: Bottle Rocket, Skyrocket, Sparkler, Snaps, and Firecracker (Flitter still refuses to eat). I think it’s starting to become pretty obvious which are likely Het Palmetto.

9 Likes

Bee u tee ful babies @noodlehaus! They are certainly growing into their own individuals! Tell litter Flitter he? needs to hurry up and eat so he can catch up with his? siblings! :pray:

5 Likes

He and his brother Strobe are the only two hatchlings I have left that refuse to eat, out of either clutch. I’m considering placing them in with their second clutch siblings when they hatch to try and prompt a feeding response.

4 Likes

Well, I think this boy is going to have to stay. I’m not exactly sure what is up with Mr. Whirlwind, he’s much more pink than any of the others. His pattern continues into his irises, which is absolutely crazy to look at!

7 Likes

I have never heard of this! So just being among hatchling eggs will illicit a feeding response for other snakes? That’s interesting!

And I sure hope it works! :pray:

2 Likes

Not necessarily, it’s more of a low-risk experiment before I move onto other options. Doing everything to avoid another year of having to assist feed the stubborn ones and hoping that maybe, just maybe, a long shot works.

3 Likes

I know I’ve mentioned I cohab my younger corns before, but did I mention I’ve continued the experiment with yearlings? These are my three '22 holdbacks, Cheeky, Seeker, and Keeper. They’ve got enough space and decor that if they so wished, every girl could have her own hide (and from time to time, do chose to). Instead, most often, they do this:

4 Likes

Oh my goodness Jennifer they are doing the garter thing! Years ago I kept 3 corns together with no problems whatsoever. I did rinse feed separately of course and I rinsed their little heads off after feeding time. They did fine!

That picture is so cute :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:!

3 Likes

They really do get along just as well as my garters. I make sure to watch everyone before, during, and for a solid few minutes after eating. Since I do that, no problems whatsoever. I find they’ll actually do the “breeding twitch” to tell eachother, “Hey, I’m not food!”.

3 Likes

So do you feed them at the same time in their enclosure?

3 Likes

I do, yes.

3 Likes

Wow! I am so glad I now know, except for the feeding difference, that someone else kept corn snakes together. Females of course! Males cannot be kept together……… right?

Boy this is gonna open up a can of worms. Maybe……. :joy:

3 Likes

I haven’t cohabbed males past a year, but I did up until that point. I keep all of my hatchlings in pairs or small groups. I wouldn’t suggest housing sexually mature males together, but the young ones seem to do just fine for me.

3 Likes

Ok absolutely I agree! I’m looking into those bins I’m so excited about them!!! :wink:

3 Likes

:rotating_light: WE HAVE A BREACH IN CONTAINMENT! :rotating_light:
Seems Pineapple x Chipmunk Hatch 2023: The Sequel is about to begin!

5 Likes

As an update on the non-feeders from the first clutch, both Flitter and Strobe were assist-fed a piece of mouse tail.

4 Likes

Could this be an accidental cohabitation per chance? Or am I missing something here? Lol!:joy::rofl::joy:

4 Likes

It’s Pineapple’s second clutch (she double-clutched) hatching, lol.

4 Likes

Oh my goodness! So I suppose congratulations are in order and was this a surprise for you?

4 Likes

And I feel for you having to go through the assist feeding but I honestly think it’s better that you started them early so that they won’t lag too far behind the others? :thinking:

4 Likes