Nice level of humidity

What is the correct humidity for a bp? Mine is sat at 74% and a ambient temp of 25.1 Celsius

2 Likes

You need to lower the humidity to 50-65%. Higher levels like what you have should only be used for short durations while shedding. Constant high levels can lead to RI. That ambient temp is just fine however.

3 Likes

How do I reduce the humidity?

1 Like

Depends on what your setup is. Do you use a tank or a tub? And what is your substrate?

1 Like

I use tub and I’m using kitchen paper as substrate, I was using aspen but I got advised to change it because aspen is full of dust

1 Like

Airflow, smaller water dish away from the heat source, substrate that does not increase humidity.

1 Like

You need to make more holes in your tub. That should work just fine. And as @stewart_reptiles has said, a smaller water dish. Contrary to popular belief, they don’t actually need one large enough to soak in. That isn’t a natural behavior in the wild so they don’t need it in captivity.

2 Likes

Ah ok I’ll change it around, should I go back to using aspen?

No, newspaper and paper towels hold little to no humidity as well. Just start with making more holes until the humidity is down to a safe level.

2 Likes

Things change as we learn. Is this still the best range based on latest studies 2 years on?.
(I know its different at different times, just thinking about normal averages and that’s quite a wide range. With bowl size and slight variations in ventilation or/and substrate I can get it more precise)
Also is it different for hatchlings?