No buyers for a particular snake

What do you do with ball pythons you haven’t been able to sell?

3 Likes

Hi and welcome to the community. :slight_smile:
As long as your price is competitive, I would say don’t breed hard to sell snakes in the current market and be prepared to keep them for as long as it takes. Hard to sell snakes or not.
Doing that I don’t seem to have a problem selling or maybe don’t see it as a problem.

Edit: I know some people sell them ‘sale or return’ to reputable reptile shops for a cheep price, if and when they sell.
Sorry to hear your having trouble, Whats the snake?

6 Likes

The ball python market is pretty over-saturated at the moment, especially when it comes to most of the more common genes and combos. It’s a reality that a lot of breeders are having to contend with right now. I’d argue that if you must breed ball pythons right now, you should be prepared to hold onto the babies you produce for quite a while.

Definitely check to make sure your prices are reasonable and competitive. You could try making things “on sale” and dropping the price temporarily. Most people love a deal. As @ascended suggested, if you have any local reptile shops, you could see if they might be interested in buying from you to stock their store. You could also look into vending at any expos that might be coming up in your area (or at least within a reasonable driving distance). Though that option would only make sense if you have a fair number of snakes to sell. Maybe you could contact some other breeders and see if they might be interested in some sort of trade deal.

9 Likes

You can also try selling via other avenues. I make quite a few local sales via Craigslist - you just have to spend the time to vet people.

The market is extremely saturated right now. I would definitely say folks need to be prepared to keep snakes that don’t sell for as long as it takes, even if that’s a year or more.

7 Likes

Have you tried the new auction feature yet? It is new so lots of people are using it so may be a good place to try

5 Likes

Thanks for the advice. I have a few. Guess i just have to get my stuff together.

3 Likes

Thanks for the feedback.

3 Likes

Thanks. I’ll have to look into that.

3 Likes

In the olden days, it used to take 3 to 6 months minimum unless you were doing a lot of shows. Before pricing became so standardized in the industry, I used to use factor six months worth of feed into the cost of every baby.

6 Likes

Sadly with how saturated the market is, it’s one of the reasons a few of us will warn a lot of first timers about how difficult moving them can be.
Not to say that you’re a first timer/beginning as well, just as an idea of the market currently.

Especially when they’re common morphs, a lot of times you may need to just suck it up and reevaluate pricing.
I’ve sold a handful of them on the market here…(it can definitely take time) But I’ve also sold a few at wholesale pricing to a couple local shops. I’ve also sold a few on Craigslist.
That was just with one or two clutches a year though. Just hobby size

5 Likes