No Constriction Before Eating

This is just an observation I’ve had with two of my snakes. Both came from different locations but both were only ever raised on live prey. I had no trouble switching one of them over to FT, the other however took 2 weeks of skipping before eating. No trouble since then, they eat well even in shed. Last night I offered them both food and they took it but neither constricted the prey. They basically took it knowing it was not alive and felt no need to constrict? Are my snakes lazy or smart? They started this the last few feedings but now both are doing it regularly. Just an observation, I’m sure they do this and it’s not that uncommon, maybe even larger snakes more so? I’m not housing anything very large at the moment or mature to compare it to. They’ve adapted and are comfortable with what’s going on? It caught me off guard honestly, I was still holding the food with my tongs and they were trying to pull it away rather than wrap it up.

Count it a blessing man. I’m f they maintain that behavior they will be very easy feeders only one of mine does that

1 Like

All three of my heavy bodied constrictors (2 BPs and a rosy boa) “kill” their prey before eating it. However, both of my colubrids (tiny kingsnake and large rat snake) don’t and just eat it right away. The kingsnake is nearly 10 years old, and the rat snake is around 6 years old. My king snake has always eaten them and not bothered to kill them for as long as I can remember. The rat snake has likely done the same. I do put extra effort into making the mice/rats for the BPs and rosy seem alive though, so maybe that is why they do it?

1 Like

Sorry such an interesting topic had to post, Now boa Kai was raised on live at the pet store but now he eats FT without constricting also. I thought that was maybe normal.

1 Like

That’s how my old boa Vasuki was. Before he hit 2yrs old, he would strike that rat like a freight train. Seriously amazing to see the power he was capable of.
After 2yrs old, for some reason he lost his killer instinct and would just slowly slither up to the prey item and open his mouth :joy:. I’d just put it in and he’d take it like a baby, just adorable to witness from such a powerful animal.

1 Like

That is so true

My black king snake, Honduras milk snake, corn snake, hog nosed, and grey rat snake all just take their food item and eat. The rat snake surprised me because she is wildcaught. (I rescued her from a coworkers car engine)
All of my ball pythons and my Carpet python constrict.

1 Like