No heat reptile that aren’t as common

I’m curious what are some reptiles that don’t need heat that everyone doesn’t know

1 Like

All reptiles do need a certain amount of heat, but many can be kept without supplemental heat, and that is largely dependant on where you live. In Florida for example, there’s a huge range of species you can keep outside without any extra heat because the climate is suitable for them, but you wouldn’t be able to do the same in for example, Pennsylvania. It would help if we knew what sort of climate you were living in, whether you’re looking at keeping indoors or outdoors, if it’s in a room in your house or an unheated garage, if it’s in your house, how hot it gets in summer vs how cold it gets in winter, etc etc.

3 Likes

I was talking about room temps of 72-75 sorry for not clarifying

2 Likes

You could always get local colubrids (if they’re legal; think ribbon, ring-necked snakes, garter snakes, etc.). Cave geckos could work but you’d have to check. Why don’t you want to heat them? Are you just wondering what’s out there or don’t you want to have to heat an enclosure. Heating an enclosure is very simple and safe and will give you a lot more options for what you can get.

3 Likes

Just wondering that’s it I own a bearded dragon blue tongue skink and some emerald tree skinks soon

2 Likes

3 Likes

Allow me to point you to the care guide I just made for Arizona mountain kingsnakes. Bamboo rat snakes are another species you can look at as well.

5 Likes

Just to make sure you know these are still on my bucket list :grin:

4 Likes

Lol and bamboo rats :rofl:

1 Like

Rubber boa
Many of the Asian rat snakes
New Caledonian geckos other than cresties
Bredli’s and diamond pythons (you would still want to provide a heat source but it does not need to be crazy high for them)
Abronia

6 Likes

Not reptiles but many amphibians don’t need a heat source. Dart frogs, salamanders, some tree frogs and toads

3 Likes