Not a good day... (WARNING! - Graphic pictures)

So…

Five years ago, I noticed a strange lump on my female Black Gap alterna. I sent her to my vet and he removed her kidney and a massive tumour attached to it:

You can see the abnormal swell here:

And this is what was inside:

That fleshy purple lump on the bottom is the kidney. The massive pink “salted” mass is the tumour:

My vet stitched her back up and she was mostly good as new (just have had to check her after every shed because some would almost always get stuck on the incision scar):

She shed last night so I was checking her this morning, only to discover this:

My vet had warned me that these types of cancer inevitably grow back so I knew it was possible. But damnitall does it suck knowing that there is no fix this time. She is still acting happy and healthy so I will let her continue to live her life as long as she stays that way, but I hate knowing that her twilight is likely rapidly approaching now. Seventeen years just is not long enough for her spunky little personality

:cry: :cry:

19 Likes

There really never seems to be enough time with any pet I think…

I’m sorry to hear about your girl. Especially the fact that this time the answer is not that easy fix.
No like for the post because cancer sucks. :cry:

I actually just found a bump on my oldest noodle. He’s 23 so I’m weighing my options and also navigating medical stuff for myself right now too. :face_exhaling:

9 Likes

Aw, that sucks, I’m sorry to hear it. Is this species more prone to tumors?

8 Likes

I’m so sorry about this. I suppose at least you get to know the end is on its way and you can take this time to make some extra special memories and take lots of pictures before she passes :heart:

9 Likes

I am so sorry. It is a terrible feeling to make such a discovery.

This. So true. :disappointed_relieved:
Prayers for you and your girl.

8 Likes

I am sorry this happened to you :cry:. At least she has had such a great owner for the better part of 2 decades and is still happy

10 Likes

I’m so sorry. :heart: There can never be enough time with loved ones. Truly I am sorry. I have 6 very beloved leopard geckos that turned 20 years old this year, along with several more in their upper teens, and I’m always a little anxious whenever I go to care for or check on them. I can empathize greatly with that feeling of knowing what’s coming, and being anxious/sad about it, but also being happy to treasure the time remaining.

As an aside- I suggest getting in touch with your vet & sending pics, get an exam if feasible and while she’s still doing ok. They may have some good ideas for palliative care that will make her twilight time as comfortable as possible. If you wanted the info, I’m guessing they could also assess the spread of the cancer via imaging. Or do bloodwork to try and assess how her kidneys are functioning. (In my very limited experience, this can sometimes be tough in reptiles.)

It’s also not totally impossible that it’s an abscess or something. I would guess that you are correct re: the cause of the lump, but it wouldn’t hurt just to be sure it’s not something treatable.

10 Likes

I think one of the worst things about most animals we keep is the fact that their lifespans are often so much shorter than our own, and it seems incredibly unfair to share so little time with such amazing individual creatures. My thoughts go out to you and your beautiful girl, and I truly hope the rest of her life is comfortable for as long as possible. She’s a beauty.

9 Likes

So sorry, that’s rough! After 5 years and then… that just sucks. Hopefully it doesn’t grow much or fast and the snake can remain healthy as long as possible, for both of you. Sorry again.

9 Likes

Unfortunately we are only allowed a season with some of our beloved animals until their bodies wear out, I am sorry for your torment Travis. And potential loss. Make the time you have with her count. :pray::snake:

6 Likes