Not a very flashy gecko

Bit strange? We’re on frog groups (mainly the other half). We’ve been keeping dart frogs/frogs and day geckos together since we started keeping them as have a lot of other people on the forums and chats. We’ve kept tincs, auratus, many Phelsuma types, citronellas, etc (too many to name lol) and peacock geckos, gold dust, Williams, mournings etc. Mix and match of them together. So been years now! Never had a problem, Infact the Colons are breeding and the Williamsi will have a female as soon as we find one. All our frogs and geckos were breeding when having them together. We’re on the hunt for a female Williamsi for our boy, he was a baby of ours from few years ago, dad died and mum was given to a friend. But he’ll be breeding in with the colons. And the mournings will be laying soon and don’t mind the frogs and vice versa.
No idea why you’ve been told different!
But either way it’s good fun having them both! It’s great when feeding Time and the geckos and frogs eat together :blush:

1 Like

No morphs. Only different colourings.
Dark brown, lighter brown, creamy beige etc.
We have a brown and a creamy beige type coloured one. Most available are the brown types.
But colours also can choose age and very with heat etc. Sometimes ours look really pale and other times darker in colour :blush:

1 Like

The main reason was that they weren’t together in nature and different diseases and pathogens could spread. Essentially they said that there was no benefit to the animals. They also gave examples of larger frogs eating geckos but I don’t think that would apply since I was planning to use bumblebees or dying blue dart frogs.

1 Like

Bumblees are fab! That’s what we had in with our breeding Williamsi!
Defo one of my favs we’ve had by far! :blush:

1 Like

Thanks. This might be a silly question but do the mourning geckos need to be in a group already, or could I choose a few from different places and put them together?

1 Like

You can source them from different places. As long as you remove the eggs so the adults don’t eat the babies then their care is the same as crested geckos. The big difference is that mourning geckos glue their eggs onto surfaces. That means that you often need to cut off whatever they laid their eggs on or tape a deli cup over the eggs so when they hatch you can collect them and raise them separately. The most fun part about them is when you suddenly end up with two Bobby’s. :joy: :rofl: :joy:

1 Like

If they’ve got enough food they’ll be ok! I know breeders who leave them too it and the babies are fine as enough food is given, grow up to then start laying themselves! Occasionally though one may be eaten! With ours being so planted not till sure we’d find the eggs :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

You can get them from multiple places. Though they all look the same really so no need :sweat_smile:
We have 2 atm, so will be keeping all babies for now!
They’re also quite cheap. £10 each here usually as they lay a lot!. Though some people have been trying it on asking for £25! :woman_facepalming:t2:

1 Like

Thanks, helps a lot.

Although I might not be buying any lol

Well this thread blew up LOL

I have not read everything in detail but I want to throw my $0.02 in on some things here

Re: co-habing with darts. There is a rather pervasive mindset in the dart community that co-habitation of anything is an absolute sin against nature and so anyone asking about it should be burned at the stake. Realistically, as long as the environmental constraints are similar between two species and there is no direct detrimental competition, it should be fine to cohab. As the geckos readily eat CGD they should not be out competing the frogs for food items and their niches within the cage would help to segregate them spatially. I would advocate for going a little heavier on the planting to provide even more cover than normal, but other than that you would be fine.

Re: What to do with surplus if you have a colony. Even if you yourself are not open to using them as feeders there are a large number of other keepers out there that would be very eager to take extras off your hands for that use. The reason I have my colony is because I have an obligate lizard-eating species.

Re: Males. I have not seen any research done on what triggers a male to form but there presence is believed to be as a means of adding back some genetic diversity into populations. The random male pops out, locks with a few females, their offspring are now genetically different than the mother. The offspring then go on to reproduce parthenogenetically unless/until another random male happens along

4 Likes

I’m definitely going to do don’t research as the other worry I had was offspring and you’ve all help made that a little clearer

i always wanted to do a dart frog/ gecko cohab but i didn’t know if it was possible so this thread just made my day!

4 Likes

Ugh the other half is selling the viv the mournings are in as decided on only 1 communal tank now which has the colons and Williamsi. Which he’s now moving into the outhouse.
He’s asked if I want the mournings though? Well yes!! :joy:
A whiteish strange pattered one and a brown very patterned one. Ofcourse I want to keep them. Looks like I need to get another viv set up :sweat_smile:

2 Likes