Not-Really-Colubrids: African House Snakes! Discussion and Show-off

Just thinking it’d be fun to have a spot to talk about our House Snakes. We could chat about husbandry, enclosures, the different species of House Snake and the localities and morphs, and of course pictures!

(We know they’re not actually Colubrids, but they’re organized into the same space for now in this forum, so this is where the thread belongs at the moment.)

14 Likes

This is my tiny boy Sangfroid. (like this: Sann’frwa) Boaedon fuliginosus, Black locality. He is currently 6 grams and a couple months old at best estimate, about as thick as a pencil but a lot longer. He’s skittish, being a baby, but really curious when he feels safe to poke around. I can tell he’s got a lot of personality.

I don’t intend to do any breeding, so for me, he’s a pet. He’s my second reptile, but my very first snake and I am delighted.

16 Likes

I am very happy to see that he is so loved, I hope that he has a wonderful long life with you!

4 Likes

Aw thank you. I am absolutely smitten. :smile:

5 Likes

I might be getting a pair of house snakes in a few months :blush:

7 Likes

He’s so freakin’ cute I can hardly stand it! :heart_eyes:

I’d definitely love to get a house snake or two at some point in the not-too-distant future. I especially love the red ones. I love red snakes in general. It’s always a bit of a relief to be able to add some smaller species to my wishlist, because as a rule, I’ve noticed that I tend to gravitate towards species that are more medium to large…but space is limited, haha.

8 Likes

Ooh if you do I hope you’ll show them off here!

5 Likes

Thanks, I think so too. I keep squeeing over him.
Today he’s decided he feels okay to just kinda chill out in the 'open" in his bin, which is good to see. (there’s a lot of leaf cover and the lid is covered so as to be opaque too so he can feel enclosed like he’s hidden in the undergrowth of a forest floor)

I do love the KZN Reds! They’re so pretty.
House snakes are like little jewels- delicate, and unassuming, but beautiful up close. They don’t take much space. Mine is literally living in a sterilite shoebox for a baby bin, after all. When he’s fully grown he has a 30 inch by 18x18 enclosure waiting for him, which will be plenty of space for an adult male to explore and sufficient to be comfy just in case he turns out to be a She by accident. (pretty positive he’s a male.)

9 Likes

You know I would :wink:

5 Likes

Adding a note to this thread now that I have figured out how to get my little guy back onto eating the F/T mice he was started on.

If anyone’s young house snake goes off their food, try a brained FT pinkie in an opaque sided deli container, just put the snake in there with it and leave him alone. (You’re grounded until you finish your dinner, young man)

My little snake seems to be shy, and the peace and quiet alone in the deli with smelly food seemed to be what he needed to finally feel hungry and eat.

Being young and tiny, he also enjoys having many little hides to choose from all over his bin, and a lot of fake-leafy cover over all that.

8 Likes

Possibly @ballornothing can answer this one, but I’ll put it up here for a general Ask:

How often do your juvenile House Snakes shed?

I suspect my little dude may be getting ready for another one, since I’d gotten him eating but now he’s not interested.

3 Likes

Little albino I got 2 weeks ago

10 Likes

African house snakes are amazing and I’m so happy to be working with them! I picked up a 1.2 trio of KZN red T- cape house snakes (B. capensis) from Bushveld Reptiles and I’m so thrilled with them. I’m looking to add one more female, and I’m wanting to go for high-pattern lines. Here are my three, growing like weeds and such amazing snakes.

Persimmon:

Spitfire:

Ares (my boy):

11 Likes

Oh wow he might be even smaller than mine!

2 Likes

What beautiful snakes! Those facial lines are so striking.

3 Likes

I’ve had mine since January this year, and all three have shed twice, and two have shed three times (I believe my male is going into shed again). Definitely seem to have higher metabolism and faster growth/shed rate than the ball pythons which is what I’m used to.

4 Likes

Thanks! Mine may very well be getting ready to shed again.

2 Likes

It’s about 5 months old maybe 6 the mother was about 3 and half ft in length.

This is 1 of its normal looking siblings which I got as well.

8 Likes

Oh what a pretty pattern! I love the high-reddish spotting.

2 Likes

I just brought home this pretty girl, she’s a t+ albino cape House Snake. Her name is Scarlet. Isn’t she gorgeous?? I love the temperament of these snakes, she’s very easy going. Ferocious if you give her a mouse though!

11 Likes