Not-Really-Colubrids: African House Snakes! Discussion and Show-off

My hogs just would not eat until I upped their temps by just a couple degrees and decreased the humidity. Now they come up to the lid for food and even take it right off the tongs.

4 Likes

Oh he looks beautiful in it, blending right in! Can I ask your temps and humidity?

4 Likes

Sorry I have taken so long to reply. The hot side is 90 degrees but the humidity fluctuates because I add a bit of water periodically to keep the clean up crew alive and doing it’s job! Lol!

So I would say 60 or so average humidity level. IMO for this particular pet of mine, he seems to be doing much better with a higher humidity……

Hope this answers your questions.

3 Likes

Thanks!

Got Sangfroid to take a live pinkie today. At first he didn’t seem too interested but he got the idea in the end. Spoiled shoelace. He’s on live after yet more attempts to switch. Ah well. We’ll try again later.
Pic tax!

7 Likes

He is really pretty! He looks iridescent in that picture! Isn’t it funny that sometimes when you get your little problem child to eat ANYTHING you breathe a sigh of relief and puff out like a proud snake parent! :rofl:

5 Likes

He’s so freaking cute I can hardly stand it! Love his big eyeballs. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

4 Likes

Thanks! It’s so hard to get that iridescence on camera but you can see a little here. He is absolutely my problem child, sigh.

4 Likes

Me too! Thank you. He gots them peepers. Big and olive green.

5 Likes

Update to the Saga of the Shoelace: He is taking FT Pinkies if they are brained, and then left warm in his enclosure next to a hide, and then I have to cover the whole enclosure and shut off the lights and go AWAY. Leave him in peace and quiet dark to “hunt”.

Just as the deli used to work with him, I am starting to figure out that Sangfroid needs total security and darkness to feel hungry and safe enough to eat

Posted in case this helps any of you feed your pickier House Snakes!

6 Likes

So glad to hear your problem child is finally taking f/t! You may find that he becomes slightly less particular as time goes on (or not, they’re all different). When I first switched my sand boa to f/t, she initially needed the mice brained, the lights out, and total quiet to eat, but in recent months she’s become much less fussy. I no longer need to brain the mice, she’ll eat with the lights on and the cats running around, and the last two feedings she’s actually taken her mouse off the tongs for me.

5 Likes

Aw thanks.
Being who he is of course he stopped taking FT right after I posted this. -.-
So we’re in the cycle again- live for a while, FT attempts.

4 Likes

What a little stinker! I’m sorry he’s still giving you feeding trouble, I know that can be stressful. Does he at least eat live reliably?

4 Likes

He does take live, so I am pretty sure it’s not that he doesn’t want to eat- he doesn’t want to eat them like THAT. Husbandry must be okay, he’s just a brat. This trouble switching to FT is pretty typical for the species, I have heard. I’m working on plans for moving him to a bioactive and Ive heard that ought to help, fingers crossed.

5 Likes

Update on the Saga of Sangfroid the Stinker Shoelace!
He is still growing on Live, but we have been trying to switch him. Boy is 18 entire grams!

We MIGHT be on to something. This is the second time he has taken an FT Pinkie smeared with a little egg yolk. He might be a fan of Eggs!

Luckily I am too, because an egg on toast is a regular meal for me, so setting aside a little egg yolk to smear on a mouse won’t be a hardship.

7 Likes

Woo hoo! That’s awesome! Persistence pays off at times! As a matter of fact my on and off little stinker Marmalade at a ft small mouse that I put in her hide a couple of nights ago. I was so sure it would be there the next morning that I was shocked when it wasn’t!

But the next time she refuses, I will remember the egg thing! :wink::lizard::frog::blush::snake:

5 Likes

Nice! It is such a wonderful feeling when a challenging animal decides to eat. And a smear of egg yolk is a much simpler material for scenting than are some other things. At least you’ll never have to prowl around your house with a flashlight on a humid night, hoping to be able to find and grab an egg on the wall before it gets away! :laughing:

5 Likes

That’s awesome!

4 Likes

Yay, glad to hear he took another thawed pinky! Hopefully you’re onto something with the egg yolk! Smearing a little egg on a feeder is certainly easier and less gruesome than splitting open its skull. I’ll be keeping my fingers crossed that he’ll start taking them reliably with a little egg garnish!

7 Likes

Thanks guys!
It worked AGAIN!! We have a METHOD! Sangfroid is an egg sauce fan.
If every Sunday is brunch for dinner around here, I shan’t complain.
(i’m cracking eggs into a pan and spooning out a little yolk for his mouse glazing before I add any salt, and the rest of it is MY dinner, because I too like eggs)

7 Likes

Hooray for eggs! :frog::snake::lizard::blush:

6 Likes