Nugget the Mangrove Progress

Nothing crazy, just wanted to share my progress with socializing Chicken Elizabeth Nugget, my highly defensive/reactive Boiga Melanota.

Took him to the vet for the first time, the vet has venomous experience and taught me a couple new maneuvers to managing him and his attitude. We went from

This being an accomplishment:

(Please do not mind the enclosure, i am dealing with mites right now, and lost two wooden 6fts to the infestation. Replacement enclosures are awaiting rhp’s, and then everyone will be moved back into their own enclosures.)

To THIS:

It’s incredible how much a single change to handling technique can make such a huge impact on my ability to interact with him peacefully and confidently.

10 Likes

So beautiful. What was the single change that led to the improved handling experience?

3 Likes

The change simply was loosing the hook, and using a carry bin lid to create a barrier between his head and my hand as i go in to grab him. I keep the hook nearby if he does start reacting, but i can do so much more to keep him comfortable and supported with my hands. That apparently works better for most mangroves all around.

3 Likes

Excellent! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ah, another person of equine culture I see :joy: :joy:

3 Likes

:rofl: You got me.
You are the first person to get that reference.

I always say reptile girls are just horse girls from hot topic.

3 Likes

Ha! I love that comparison, and both Chicken Elizabeth Nuggets!

3 Likes