Ocellated Skink Breeding

Looking in to getting a small group of ocellated skinks to breed as feeders for my lizard eaters. Does anyone have any tips for the best way to set them up to breed?

2 Likes

Honestly, they wouldn’t be the best choice for that given they give live birth and reportedly take care of their young (feeding them bits of food is the main thing I have heard of). I also don’t know if there has been much success in breeding them outside of skink breeders that haven’t released the secrets just yet. If you want an easy to breed lizard that has a lot of babies, I recommend mourning geckos. All of them are female, they eat crested gecko diet, and they are almost fool-proof to breed. 4 eggs each time vs 1-2 live young would be much better to get feeders.

1 Like

From my understanding they are really easy to breed and can have up to 8 babies at a time. I planned on breeding both so I can offer a variety. Have been using anoles but they are too small for the guy I’m feeding so want something larger.

1 Like

I have heard they tend to have small litters, or maybe they just have a high mortality rate with large litters (not unheard of with live bearing reptiles). If they are easy to breed then you should just be able to give them their ideal environment (they are native to the Mediterranean but are invasive in Florida and Arizona) and put them together in a large enclosure so they aren’t crowded. I believe Clint’s Reptiles has a video on em that explains they mainly need heat. Ocellated skinks aren’t very big though, and not a lot bigger than the large male anoles I have seen in Florida when catching lizards there.

2 Likes