Odd one here, any ideas?

I hatched this lady out of a butter hydra het clown x clown pairing. There are splotches of silver on her and some strange markings going on, especially on the head. Possibly just some sort of issue with the incubation, I don’t have any idea. Any thoughts are welcome.

7 Likes

There is definitely some spots there! I’m going to agree was probably caused by temp fluctuations during incubation like a “jungle pattern” But they are odd, I haven’t seen any spotting like this before.

2 Likes

I have these greyish spots show up before on a couple of my het clown clutches. never proves out to be anything. Probably just a something to either due with temp changes during incubation or some weird thing with the het clown trying to show out

3 Likes

What you are most likely seeing are “paradox” spots as a result of chimerism

1 Like

Interesting, but they are a bit odd of a color.

1 Like

Are they though? Or is it one of those situations where your brain if misperceiving the colour because of the colouring around it??

Like how both the A and B panels here are the same colour:

Or how the orange and brown tiles here are actually the same colour:

I had thought of chimerism, but if that’s the case I’m not sure why the paradox spots would be silver. There shouldn’t be any axanthic or anything like that in the pairing to cause some paradox spots of such silver coloration. Hydra animals end up having silver coloration on the side as they get older, but I don’t see why this would happen. I don’t think it’s a visual perception issue, here she is on a couple of different backgrounds.

5 Likes

In those photos I’m going to agree looks like paradoxing.

2 Likes

If one of the parents was het for axanthic it can cause full recessive paradoxing. Also have butter in the pairing which could cause blue eyed Lucy Paradox from the single butter in the pairing. So could be showing super or recessive form of any genes floating in the parents.

4 Likes

Thanks for the input everyone! In any case, I’ll be repeating the pairing and holding this girl back to see what pops out when she’s old enough and large enough to pair.

3 Likes