Oh rats ! New rat rack is starting to fill up!

So today I went out of town and picked up 132 female rats ! So we could start to fill our new rat rack. I can’t wait to start producing our own rats!

9 Likes

They’re a lot of work, but if you enjoy working with them it’s totally worth it.

1 Like

My girlfriend actually works with the rats I’m just the bank to get it all started lol I maintain the snakes she maintains the rats. She seems to enjoy working with them quite a bit.

3 Likes

As much as I dislike breeding feeders it is very satifying to produce your own feeders, always having the right size available and not having to rely on someone that may or may not come through.

Looks like you are having a good start. Good luck.

7 Likes

Thank you!

what if one or two escape?!?!?!? :grimacing:

1 Like

If a big beefy and strong BP can’t escape a rack, I doubt rats could. They are made without large gaps.

1 Like

ok lolol. i was freaked out a bit :joy:

1 Like

I think I like my breeder rats as much as my snakes. I never liked buying rodents from a pet store. Always afraid of mites hitching a ride. Plus I load my feeders up with fresh fruits and veggies right befor.

3 Likes

I had my first litter of feeders 2 days ago :blush: and so my journey begins

5 Likes

Congrats! those are ASFs correct? I have been wanting to try breeding some of my own on a small scale just to start out and see if i can do it successfully

1 Like

Unfortunately I started out with the cutest bunch of babies from my (also beautiful) adult feeders. I can already tell that 90% of the females aren’t going to be fed off lol

First pic is 2 litters mixed together.
Second pic is two females from the black and white litter
Third pic is two females from a production line
Fourth pic is one of my favorite males

5 Likes

really dope thanks for sharing! :mouse2::mouse::rat::+1:

Thank you. Yep they are ASFs. If you have the space then id recommend giving it a go. Id make sure to get a small freezer ready though because from what I’ve seen from others and read, they breed extremely frequently.

1 Like

ASF are illegal in several states including California :wink:

Plus they are not all they are cracked up to be.

1 Like

What @stewart_reptiles said. You may as well just breed rats. Same amount of work, same smell, but larger meals in the end. In my experience of keeping pet rodents they are all smelly. You have to section them off in a room alone if you never wanna smell em. Gotta clean really often and feed em a ton too.

1 Like

ah rats…

3 Likes

I use deep litter and big tubs. I only have to clean weekly. No bad smell. Very rewarding too.

I breed a few hairless. The young stay small longer for my smaller snakes and lizards.

And I do rex rats for my larger stuff.

4 Likes