Ok so I AM FREAKING OUT!

Okay, Hey community;

I’m officially freaking out right now!!! I just went in to hold Nagini, and she is in Blue State about to shed, however what has me freaked out is that there is a very subtle noise coming out when she breathes heavy but not when she breathes slow!!!??? I know generally that an RI starts with noise when they breathe, so that’s why I’m freaking out!!!??? As well as the fact that I just looked online to be able to call a reptile veterinarian and I was completely unaware that there is not one for about 200 miles close to my location!!!

Please any and all information to help Nagini will be appreciated!!!

9 Likes

So you said she’s in shed. I’m just letting you know from experience, when snakes are in shed, their breathing can sound kind of huffy and blowy. I would really recommend that you wait until she sheds out and see if the sound goes away. Because it’s probably not an RI if your husbandry is on point.

16 Likes

Thanks Lumpy!!!
That IS a great relief!!!
I have never heard any of my snakes ever have a wheeze while shedding!! But it’s GOOD TO KNOW THAT NOW!!! LMAO…
As for my Husbandry skills, I hope I have them on point! I’m a bit obsessed with my babies!!! …
ALSO, I have been closely watching her humidity and shed status; cause I’d like to get her genetics done soon so I’m going to be saving this shed, if it’s clean LoL… So I have been extra attentive for that reason…
That’s how/why I noticed the small wheeze/whistle noise! … Is there anything I can do for Nagini to help!?

10 Likes

They can definitley make a whistling or wheezing noise due to loose skin around the nostrils before a shed! I rushed my first ball python to the vet in a panic because I thought it was an RI, and he diagnosed my snake with….getting ready to shed. It still scares me whenever I encounter it, but as long as it fully goes away when she’s done shedding, it’s nothing to worry about. I was fully convinced convinced my GHI mahogany girl had an RI last week and I couldn’t get a vet appointment, only for her to shed and it completely went away.

12 Likes

Thank you Chesterhf!!
That made me LoL, but I am glad to learn this!!!
Thanks again for your support, and Lumpy too!!!
Even when we think we have learned enough/everything, we are proven human and infallible!!!

10 Likes

As all the above state, it can often sound that way sometimes with a shed coming.
Maybe push under its throat to see if any fluids or bubbles come out for reassurance.

9 Likes

No problem!

The amount of times I’ve sat there quietly holding a ball python up to my ear like a sea shell is really too high because I am a very panicky animal owner

11 Likes

I did rub under her chin/neck area…
ALSO, as soon as I heard it; I checked for bubbles or any wetness at all… There was no bubbles, and no fluids when I pressed/rubbed her neck.
That’s when I googled the closet herp vet. And then, IMMEDIATELY after that, I made this post… Lmfao. I did find a herp vet “closer” than the first too. And I called them to get a quote on a visit with the doctor if it doesn’t subside with the shed…

11 Likes

Actually if you don’t need this vet now, and I pray :pray: you don’t, at least you have an accessible vet for emergencies and general health as well for your noodles! :blush::+1:

9 Likes

Just keep a close eye out for any more symptoms, like bubbles or lethargy, as I’m sure you will. I didn’t know people experienced the noise before a shed. Learn something new every day.

This brings up the importance of finding a good, local snake vet BEFORE getting a snake, or at least before you have a problem with said snake. Not to sound preachy. Heck, I didn’t find a vet until I had a problem needing one, so I’m guilty of not being prepared too. I got lucky and there was one very nearby. I believe it was a URI as well. As multi-day regiment of meds and good as new!

Hopefully your breathing sounds go away with the shed. We’re all pulling for you!

10 Likes

Did you possibly mean this post for @skearns?

5 Likes

Fwiw, @skearns , I’ve experienced the same on occasion with my corns. It scared the pants off me, every time. As others have said, chances are that your snake hasn’t got anything actually wrong. @caron pointed out the silver lining, though. Now you know where to find a vet if you need one. It’s much better to know that ahead of a true emergency. Fingers crossed that your snake will have a bright new skin and no noisy breathing soon.

8 Likes

As the old saying goes. You’re never too old to learn something new.
I would have been freaking out myself hearing wheezing or a whistling sound coming from my snakes.
I love this community and learning from the experienced keepers here.

8 Likes

This happened to me long time ago. One of my Solomons (boa) was in shed & making noise. Rushed to the vet. His nostrils were slightly impacted due to getting ready to shed. He shed a fews days after & was fine.

8 Likes

@buckeyeballs I have never heard of this before either but I’m like you! There is sooooo much to learn here! It’s so great! :+1:

6 Likes

UPDATE:

NAGINI IS PERFECT!!
No issues, just as y’all said; as soon as the skin-sock came off, the noise went with it!!! Draco actually shed out the same day LoL!!!

Also, my apologies for not updating sooner, I went to a concert on the 15th, and was also registering for college again!!! Gotta get that Business Degree for those #ReptileGoals LMAO…

13 Likes

I’m so glad to hear it

9 Likes

That’s great news! Must have been such a relief! I’m glad Nagini is all good now!

8 Likes

That’s good to hear @skearns !

6 Likes

Hooray for perfect Nagini! So glad all is well with her. Best of luck to you, @skearns, with your college plans!

5 Likes