Old trick to get a snake to let go when biting? is it harmful?

Have you ever experienced a snake bite from a large snake or one that has particularly nasty teeth?
Especially when they chew down, taring your hand and wrap around your arm, AND WON’T LET GO.

Ok, Back in the day I used to have a fast remedy to make them open their mouth and let go super fast.
I used neet alcohol spirits in a spray bottle, and sprayed it at their mouth. It worked instantly.
I always had some handy in my snake room.

I don’t believe it harmed them, except them getting a little high. There were never any negative effects.
But I worry about using this with ball pythons because they have hot pits.

Anyway, what do you think?
1- do you think it’s generally harmful to any snake?
2 - do you think it might be harmful to ball pythons because of their heat pits?
3 - any other suggestions/methods you have?

Old school methods are sometimes, but not always the best. Your opinions please?
P.S yes, take caution to avoid it and using gloves with an aggressive or untamed animal is a good idea.

1 Like

I’ve use water and hand sanitizer…Squirt some in there mouth and usually they’ll let go. I don’t think a Ball Python bite would require this as you won’t be sitting there losing tons of blood (just wait out the bite until it releases) if it bit you but larger snakes a bit of hand sanitizer or water will usually help. I always recommend waiting for it to release vs using these methods but then again if you have a retic tearing in to your hand you’ll probably want it off you sooner then later lol.

Oh I’ve also heard grabbing the tail end giving it a GENTLE twist sometimes makes them let go but I’ve never done this and someone’s bound to do it to hard n hurt the snake.

3 Likes

@ag2357 Thanks for the tip of water and hand sanitizer. Sound less of a shock than strong neet spirits.
I don’t know how bad a big ball python bite is as I have never had one. I am a bit new to ball pythons but have had many other species in the past.
I have only had significant bites from much larger snakes or those nasty teeth like emerald tree boa.
I agree with you about the tail twist, bit of a risk for the snake if your not really careful. I think I will avoid that one.

2 Likes

Alcohol is toxic to snakes, so if they were to swallow a decent amount of it, they could die. That being said, a very small amount should not cause serious harm. I personally use non-toxic dishwashing detergent instead. It’s less effective, but safer.

1 Like

This happened to my son recently while we were on the phone and he was doing the feeding. I was hoping it would still be on there when I go home so I could take a video lol. He said when “Bro“ the albino pinstripe opened up a little to get some more finger in his mouth he just pulled him right off.

1 Like

@tyspies lol the video would have gone viral. Especially if started to work its way up the finger.
it hope it was a small snake though and not to painful.

It was only an atomiser spray but I take your point. Better safe than sorry. Your the second person to give a safer recommendation, yes soap tastes nasty too. Will give it a try. (If needed)

1 Like

I heard mouthwash without alcohol works as well

2 Likes

I kept a small bottle of Tanqueray gin for emergencies when I had Burms and Anacondas. Never had to use it (thankfully) but somehow the bottle was empty by the time I moved out :rofl:

2 Likes

Since all of the bites I can get aren’t that bad, I don’t use chemicals at all. I have found my snakes will let go in around 30 seconds if you blow on their faces and poke their faces. The main snake I have to use this on is my rosy boa as she thinks everything that moves is food. If I have hand sanitizer already on my hands (dried) and she tries to bite she will instantly let go. So maybe coat yourself in hand sanitizer before handling a snake that really likes to bite? Just harassing their faces works in my experience.

3 Likes

@patriotballs Interesting, I guess any bad taste could work. Thanks.
@ashleyraeanne Another good idea, All I need now is a biter. :smiley:

[quote=“projectpython, post:8, topic:17029”]
I kept a small bottle of Tanqueray gin for emergencies when I had Burms and Anacondas. Never had to use it (thankfully) but somehow the bottle was empty by the time I moved out
[/quote] image Got to try that one!

1 Like

Hot water works every time.

2 Likes

He said hot not scalding by the way…Just saying because someone might be crazy enough to pour boiling hot water down the snakes mouth.

1 Like

I use cold water, but it’s not super effective. Maybe I’ll have to try hot.

1 Like

Absolutely no scalding temps. Just turn on a nice hot shower temp and hold the snakes body under it. They let go immediately. You don’t have to put it in their mouth.

1 Like

Yes, too hot temperatures will burn a snake from the inside, and it won’t eat, and could possibly starve if you can’t get it to eat. I always use a bit of spray that I keep in the snake rooms, or a small bottle near a rack that is mostly water and a tiny bit of hand sanitizer. It works for me everytime. Though most of my snakes are very friendly and won’t do latch onto you. But there are a few!

2 Likes

@osbornereptiles Thanks, Thats worth a try, my taps start off warm and take a long time to get really hot, so I wouldn’t be risking a burn
@twinklecat1217 Thenks, The sanitizer water has come up a few times. I think I will give all the suggestions a go and see how they work out.

2 Likes

Yeah ball python bites are really very minor for anyone wondering. My son washed up after his little feeding experience and you couldn’t tell that anything happened. Literally no marks at all. Such a harmless and widely misunderstood animal. It does still get your attention though so obviously I try to avoid it. We take ours out in public often. I find it to be the best way to truly educate the public and get people interested. Many people have thanked us for helping them overcome their fear of snakes. Many also comment on how soft they are and walk away with an overall pleasant opinion of snake ownership. “I want to get one” Is a common response to the interactions!

3 Likes

how do they bite if you use tongs? mine only strike when feeding so I use tongs

1 Like

Well done for the community awareness thing.
I have had many snakes but am quite new to ball pythons. I have not felt a bite from a ball python yet so maybe I am worrying too much.

@dniblock24 I have lesser that wants to eat literally every day and is always darting out the tub striking when I open it, he is fine being handled but just has an insane appetite (Even when blue). He would eat till he regurgitated if I let him.

2 Likes

That’s what I’ve heard. I have a small spray bottle of half water half mouthwash in my reptile room. Haven’t had to use it though.

2 Likes