Omg is that blood

So I’ve been waiting for Jewel to shed. Finally looked in there, there’s her shed, I pull it out. Yup pretty sure that faint red is blood. So I’m looking her over, I don’t see any injuries on her. I know she hasn’t poo’d in a while she hasn’t refused meals and low and behold, there’s some blood near her cloaca. So she’s in an 83* bath right now, hoping that helps her out. She ate yesterday, but I guess they don’t care, they’ll eat even if they are blocked up.

I need after care advice. I’m pretty sure there’s gonna be blood in her poo. So I’m not planning on feeding her for a week anyways but should I make any adjustments in heat/humidity/husbandry…anything like that?

Sorry, I can’t help much but I can help speed up you getting the right answers.

What age/weight is she?
What are your current husbandry stats?
Do you have a picture of the cloaca?

1 Like

Im guessing shes around 9months old, last time i weighed (almost a month ago) she was 261g. Her humidity was on the high side cause she was shedding but now at 65% and her thermostat is set to 90*
I dont have a picture since shes soaking atm and i dont want to bug her but she is looking thicc towards the tail

Blood when shedding is not unusual, when the shed tears of from the cloaca it often leave a little trail of blood.

2 Likes

I let her soak for about 10mins, put her back in her tank. Checked her cloaca, nothings torn or anything, not prolapsed. She did push out a big urate so hoping everything is gonna pass smoothly!

Would just like to add: I dont physically feel anything hard in the bottom 1/3 of her body.

I agree with Stewart. I’ve had several faint blood spots from sheds from my snakes over the years. It’s not unusual.

2 Likes

I too agree with @stewart_reptiles and @serpentswitch117. Very common to have a little trace of blood after a shed.
It’s definitely a shocker when it first happens to you, but don’t worry, you did nothing wrong and she should be completely fine.

1 Like

Yep like others have said - totally normal and nothing to treat or be alarmed about. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

So she poo’d. In both hides. Then slithered around in it. Guess who got a bath. Thanks to everyone for their advice :smiley::heart:

2 Likes