Omg you guys she's finally here!

My much-anticipated blood python is finally here!!! After several nail-biting weeks of waiting for weather to permit shipping, and after a sleepless night of knowing she was in transit and imagining every possible thing that could go wrong, my beautiful girl finally completed her cross-country journey from Florida to California. She arrived on time, safe and sound. And she’s gorgeous! Even better than the pictures. I couldn’t be happier! This is my first MM purchase, and I’m so relieved it went well. I had some reservations about ordering a snake I’d never seen in person and having it shipped across the country, but I’m so glad I finally pulled the trigger.

I’m leaving her alone to recover from her long and stressful trip, but so far she appears perfectly healthy and seems docile as can be. I couldn’t resist snapping a picture or two (or ten) after placing her in her tub.

No fancy morphs here, “just” a lovely normal. They’re my favourite. I can’t wait to see how her colours change as she matures. I think her markings are absolutely stunning.

I’ll have to get to know her a bit before coming up with the perfect name, but I’m open to suggestions. I’m partial to names from mythology, literature, and history.

35 Likes

She’s so pretty!!!

Hecate popped into my head. Not sure if that helps. :rofl:

4 Likes

Awesome snake, I love bloods! Keep us updated with how she’s doing once she’s settled in.

5 Likes

Wow she looks a lot like my boy Clive. She’s a beauty for sure! Glad she arrived safe and sound!

4 Likes

She’s my first blood, but I’ve wanted one for a very long time. I still can’t quite believe she’s here!

I’m also not feeling well today and am a little out of it, which I think is making it feel even more surreal, haha. But her arrival has certainly lifted my spirits! I can’t wait until she’s settled in and we can start getting to know each other.

I’ll definitely be updating! I don’t have many people in my life who share my love of snakes, so I’m gonna need to blather about my new baby to someone, haha.

5 Likes

Lots of blathering and lots of pictures are to be expected and appreciated! Bloods are really amazing!

4 Likes

Congratulations she is beautiful! Glad she made it safe and sound. Now is the hard part of not disturbing her for 10 days while she adjusts to her new home!

3 Likes

I knooooow, it’s so hard! But I know she’s had a long journey, and I don’t want to cause her any more stress. I want our relationship to start out on the right foot. So I’ll wait, albeit a bit impatiently, haha.

5 Likes

I dont care what anyone says. A wild type is beautiful in lots of snakes. Congrats on your girl! Im glad shopping was uneventful. Inknow how anxiety inducing it can be.

3 Likes

Agreed! There are several species where I actually prefer the wild type to most or all of the available morphs. Bloods and the other species I have, KSBs, are two examples. Most species of king and milksnakes as well.

Edit: just noticed my phone autocorrected “milksnakes” to “milkshakes,” haha.

2 Likes

Normal hognoses strike my fancy quite a bit. Same with cal kings. :heart_eyes::heart_eyes: both of which i have had or currently have.

4 Likes

Yes! Normal hognoses are wonderful.

Even species where I do love (to the point of perhaps one day owning) some morphs, like ball pythons, hognoses, and boas, I still really love the normal types.

And there’s usually so much variation among normals. When I was shopping for blood pythons, there were no two normals that looked exactly alike, even among clutchmates. There’s a ton of variety in colouration and markings. I picked my girl because she has what I consider to be the “perfect” blood python markings. A nice balance of splotches and irregular stripes down her back (for some reason I don’t like it when they have stripes on their neck and upper body, it just doesn’t quite look right to me, so I really like her splotches), with just the right amount of black and silver on her sides. I’m really anxious to see how her colours develop as she gets older. I must admit, I’m hoping she gets nice and red, but I think she’ll be stunning no matter what.

6 Likes

Not sure if you’ve already chosen a name, but I’d like to suggest Nagi, or Nagini after the mythological half snake beings from Indonesian mythonlogy.

4 Likes

Such a true statement there. As someone who mainly works with hognoses, I can for sure attest to the beauty of a wildtype hognose. I think they might be the most beautiful form of the hognose, besides maybe sables.

4 Likes

Ive got three normals currently, one of which is a superconda and lemme just tell you, theyre my favs. And none of them look like each other as far as coloring goes.

Now, i have a friend whose into bloods, shes got two currently and after seeing them and this post i kiiiinda want one. :grimacing:

5 Likes

Doooo iiiiiiit. All the cool kids are doing it. Don’t you want to be cool? :sunglasses:

Unboxing my girl was actually the first time I’d seen a blood in person. I’d seen tons of pictures and videos, but had never had the opportunity to see one face-to-face. There’s so much that even the best pictures and videos don’t fully capture, especially in the face and eyes. She has the most beautiful face and the most captivating eyes. I’m doing my best to leave her alone, but every time I go downstairs, I can’t stop myself from staring at her amazing head through the side of the tub.

5 Likes

…wait… have i missed something here? XD

3 Likes

Indunno, did ypu miss something? Lmao!!

I was talking about hoggiea, fwiw

3 Likes

Oh i know you meant hoggies haha. What I mean is that super conda is a morph, so when you said “three normals, one of which is a super conda” I was like… wait a moment xD

Edit: i dont know what fwiw means lol

3 Likes

Yeah, I was a little thrown by that too, haha.

3 Likes