Omg you guys she's finally here!

I have this for Willow, it is really incredible even now. :blush:

2 Likes

I held onto the bag she was packed in for shipping for a similar reason, haha.

2 Likes

As you need larger tubs check out ā€œunderbed storage containersā€. Sterilite make 50qt & 60qt low sizes. Look for models without wheels. The wheeled models have wierd shaped, pointed wheel post holders on the inside of them to snap wheels into.
Both of my bloods are in them and doing great. Might be an option for you later.

2 Likes

I actually already have a tub roughly that size. :joy: I forget the exact size, but I think itā€™s somewhere in the 40-60 quart range. My previous roommate originally got it for her cockroach colony, but I pointed out that the smaller roaches would have no trouble slipping underneath the lid and escaping (weā€™d had issues with them escaping since she first got them), so she ended up ordering a waterproof tub for them that had a foam seal under the lid (she added ventilation, obviously). She left the original tub with me when she moved out because she knew I had plans to get more reptiles and figured Iā€™d be able to use it.

Eventually I intend to get Mina a nice front-opening PVC enclosure as her permeant adult enclosure. I have one for my sand boa and absolutely love it, so Iā€™ll probably try to get something similar for Mina, except larger, obviously. But theyā€™re kinda pricey, so I plan to stick to the much cheaper plastic tubs while sheā€™s a baby/juvenile, because thereā€™s no point in spending a bunch of money on something sheā€™s going to outgrow. Plus itā€™s nice to have various sizes of ventilated tubs to use as travel containers, holding containers for enclosure cleaning days, as quarantine/juvie tubs for future additions, etc.

3 Likes

I saw a really nice 6ft pvc enclosure with a removable divider. For a hot minute i thought about starting my 2 bloods in one of them and getting a second as they grew. But with 28 snakes and counting in a 760sq ft studio, space is a premium.
(4 asf, 2 mice colonies as well). I will reconsider after I move to a larger place.

3 Likes

Yeah, tubs are a great cost and space-saving option. If/when my collection grows past a certain point, Iā€™ll probably end up using more tubs as permanent enclosures, and/or perhaps consider investing in some racks. But as long as I have the space, I prefer to create nice display enclosures that have better visibility. Thatā€™s the main thing I dislike about tubs and racks: they donā€™t give as clear of a view into the enclosure, even when the tubs are ā€œclear.ā€

Iā€™m not a fan of glass tanks for a variety of reasons (can make animals feel insecure, harder to manage temps and humidity, theyā€™re less durable, and theyā€™re HEAVY) but I really like the PVC enclosures with the clear doors on the front. Only real downside is that theyā€™re pretty pricey. I definitely wouldnā€™t be able to comfortably afford housing a large collection in them, but as long as Iā€™m not to the point of needing to buy them by the dozen, I feel like theyā€™re worth the extra money. Iā€™m hoping that I might be able to find a good deal on a used one between now and when Mina actually needs it, but ā€¦we shall see.

In a perfect world, every wall of my condo would be lined, floor to ceiling, with beautiful naturalistic PVC enclosures housing all of my dream species. Sadly, my job just doesnā€™t pay that well. I gotta hurry up and find someone rich to marry and fund my menagerie. :joy:

4 Likes

So, while weā€™re on the topic of adult enclosures, maybe I could get some feedback on an issue Iā€™ve been turning over in my mind as I start to make some tentative plans for Minaā€™s permanent home. Whatā€™s an ideal size for an adult female blood enclosure?

Most of the info Iā€™ve found online suggests a footprint of 4ā€™ by 2ā€™, but would bigger be better, assuming there were appropriate hides and cover? I know bloods arenā€™t super active, but I also know they often like to rest more stretched out than many other species. Iā€™d have the space to do 5 or 6 feet in length, so Iā€™m wondering if that might be preferable.

And what about height? I know bloods are terrestrial and arenā€™t really know for climbing, but will they use vertical space and branches/perches if itā€™s offered? I know that many species that arenā€™t known for being climbers often will still climb at least a little when given the opportunity (sand boas, ball pythons, etc.). Mina actually climbs quite a bit when I have her out, and will climb the foliage in her current enclosure occasionally, but Iā€™m not sure if that behaviour will decrease as she gets bigger. Initially I was looking at some enclosures that are about 18" tall, but Iā€™m wondering if 24" or more could potentially be better.

2 Likes

I think the the 18ā€ or the 24ā€ would be awesome for her! Most people house them in 4x2x1s as they arenā€™t super climbers as they short and stocky in peroration.

3 Likes

I was looking at the Animal Plasticsā€¦I wanna say T8? The 4ā€™x2ā€™x18". Iā€™m just debating if I should go for something a little longer and/or taller. Iā€™ve heard good things about AP, and they seem pretty reasonably priced as far as PVC enclosures go.

2 Likes

If you have the room I would deffinety go with the 6ft X 2ft footprint. I have seen some realy big bloods and as an adult she will probably thank you!

PS: (DISCLAMER) take my opinion with a grain of salt as I have never had an opportunity to keep one yet, but im very keen on a sumatran black blood! Maybe sometime!!! Lol!!

4 Likes

For most shorties a 4x2 is sufficient, for very large girls something larger might be appropriate, but captive bloods today donā€™t usually get as large as some of the monsters youā€™ve seen from previous years. Vertical height is a non issue, itā€™s mostly about what you feel comfortable with sticking your head in to clean, taller PVC enclosures are easier to scrub. Bloods dont want to go up, in fact theyā€™d be much happier to be under the substrate.

One thing to note, a larger and more decorated enclosure doesnā€™t necessarily mean a happier or healthier snake, if it means youā€™re less likely to clean. I keep fairly minimalistic for this reason, anything that means I can streamline cleaning means better health for my animals. That being said, those who have a bigger focus on fewer animals might feel that a large, beautiful and naturalistic enclosure is more of a pleasure to work on so will be more inclined to keep up with the work.

In other words, it all depends on the keeper and individual animalā€™s needs :laughing:

Hereā€™s a link to a podcast with Kara Norris on the subject

4 Likes

Yeah, I know that any enclosure is only as good as how clean you can keep it. I only have two snakes at the moment, and while I do intend to get more at some point, I donā€™t have the space or money to maintain a huge collection, so I have the time to invest in somewhat more decorated enclosures. I find that having more naturalistic display-type enclosures is what gives me the most enjoyment. I like seeing my snakes in a more natural-looking environment, and I donā€™t mind taking the extra time to keep it clean. I may change my mind as my collection grows, but Iā€™ll adjust my strategy if/when that becomes the case.

And honestly, Iā€™m not planning to make it too elaborate or crazy. Just some coco substrate, enough pretty fake plants to give her some cover, some hides, and a nice natural-looking water dish. Something thatā€™s both functional and nice-looking without being too high-maintenance. Basically a larger version of what she has now, except with a prettier water bowl and with a higher-end enclosure. :blush:

1 Like

Sumatrans are my second-favourite short-tail species! I love the red on the bloods, but that black with silver highlights is pretty breathtaking too.

Initially Iā€™d planned to get some sort of boa constrictor as my next snake, and I still might, but more recently Iā€™ve been debating if a Sumatran should be the next species in line on my wishlist. Iā€™m a ways off from getting another snake, so Iā€™ll have to see how I feel once I start feeling ready for my next addition. Eventually Iā€™d love to have a Borneo too. I love all the short-tail species. Theyā€™re all so gorgeous, and you get the impressive girth of a giant snake while only having to accommodate a fraction of the length. Theyā€™re kind of like ball pythons on steroids, but with better (in my opinion) natural colours and patterns.

2 Likes

Itā€™s been a few days since I updated, mostly because thereā€™s been nothing new or exciting to report. But Mina continues to be wonderful!

1 Like

I came downstairs this morning to discover that a cute little jumping spider had tried to commit suicide in Minaā€™s water dish. :frowning: Must have fallen through one of the air holes in the tub . Fortunately I found her (or him, not sure, but I usually think of spiders in the feminine) before it was too late and was able to rescue her. I fished her out and she hopped off to freedom into the wilds of my living room. Iā€™m pretty sure Iā€™d seen her at least once before in my kitchen (unless we have more than one hopping around). Iā€™ll try to get a picture if I see her again.

4 Likes

Just wanted to give a bit of an update on Mina. Sheā€™s continuing to do great and is an absolute dream to have. Sheā€™s been eating great and is truly a joy to handle. I normally give her a 3-day break from handling when I feed her. I donā€™t handle her the day I feed her, and then I give her two days to digest after feeding her (I know a lot of people say you only need to give snakes a single day to digest before resuming handling, but since short-tails have such slow metabolisms, I figure it might be better to give her that extra day). After her first two or three feedings, I noticed she was a little more nervous when I resumed handling after that 3-day break, almost as if weā€™d taken a step backwards in her trust and comfort level with me. But when I resumed handling after her most recent feeding earlier this week, she was totally fine and relaxed, just as she was before the 3-day feeding break, so yay! She also hasnā€™t hissed or huffed at me in quite some time. Hooray!

I know that I said a while back that it looked like she might be going into shedā€¦but I think I was just seeing things. However, last night it looked like her eyes might be starting to get just a touch cloudy, so she might be entering a shed for realz this time. I dunno, weā€™ll see. I feel like sheā€™s gotten a good deal larger since I got her, so I feel like a shed canā€™t be too far away on those grounds alone. I went ahead and bumped her humidity up just a smidge (normally I aim for low to mid 60s, now Iā€™m aiming for high 60s to low 70s, sheā€™s at about 68% right now). My sand boaā€™s last shed wasnā€™t the greatest (it wasnā€™t horrible, she got it all off, but it came off in pieces), so I think thatā€™s made me a little paranoid. I also really, really want Minaā€™s first shed with me to come off in one piece, partially because thatā€™s easiest for her, but also because Iā€™d love to be able to have her first complete shed to save for sentimental reasons.

4 Likes

This sounds great! Iā€™m glad sheā€™s doing good for you.

Out of curiosity how do you plan on preserving this? Just the other day I learned that sheds can be laminated to preserve them, Iā€™m not sure if that would work well.

2 Likes

I honestly hadnā€™t really thought about it. I guess they do tend to become pretty dry and brittle over time if you donā€™t take means to protect it somehow.

My work has a laminating machine. I bet theyā€™d let me use it if I used the shed for some sort of educational purpose. :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

My work has a laminating machine. I bet theyā€™d let me use it if I used the shed for some sort of educational purpose

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: of course, they would be fine with it if you ask!

2 Likes

Hah, reading about handling sessionsā€¦ my girl Ecco will huff at me when I pick her up, and can be a bit touchy at times. She DEFINITELY hates being handled while in shed, so I tend to leave her alone.

Iā€™ve been bit by her once, when she was quite a bit smallerā€¦. It left bruises :joy:

Our little guy Percy on the other hand, is so laid back and chill. One time I picked him up and thought he was dead because he was just so relaxed!
He started eating just fine when we got him, and I swapped him over to rat pups without any effort.

Coulda sworn I replied to this thread before, maybe I didnā€™t? :sweat_smile:
Hereā€™s a few pics of them together anyways!

6 Likes