One of my beloved Iguanas

I know they aren’t for everyone but I ADORE all my iguanas. This is my only male and even in breeding season, he is a pure gent

11 Likes

I heard that ♂ green iggys can be an absolute nightmare during breeding season. You must have gotten lucky if this guy stays calm.

Yes indeed. He is my second male. The first was a rehome and very territorial…sadly passed now.
Yes and a lot of people either don’t respect them in breeding season or let them free roam. This amplifies it!! Basically giving the iguana a larger territory then wondering why their “tame” male changed once he reached sexual maturity. It’s a no brainer really.
We are both women here and are more than aware of the effect our monthly hormones can have on a mature male. This is why he gets a lot of respect. However as he has mated with the females he lives with, he isn’t interested in us at all. This approach works for us

2 Likes

Last time I was at an expo I got to interact with a pair of green iggys (♂♀ pair). I was petting the female as she sat near her bask area just soaking up the attention and being a sweetheart. Her male counterpart kept giving me the evil eye as if he viewed me as like a rival male trying to steal his girlfriend’s affections. He gave the impression as if to say “how about you come near me next and see what will happen” and “back off male human this is my girlfriend…go find a female of your own species”. Me being the calm male human just continued petting the sweet female until he looked like he was gonna walk over and stop me.

I thought your pic was you…I guess not. Also what is this calm male’s name??

1 Like

thought the pic was me???

His name is “Fforest” Welsh spelling

Males demand respect, especially in breeding season, however thankfully they are not all 6ft huge beasts raging with hormones

3 Likes

Fforest is a real charming dude. I wish I could meet and pet a handsome male iggy like him. I wanted to give the male iggy at the expo a nice pet but was a bit afraid he would use his serrated teeth on me. He looked real unhappy I was giving affection to his lady-friend. The green iggy is one of the 1st lizard species I ever wanted to get-- in fact my first personal interaction I ever had (at least from what I remember) with a reptile was with the green iggy.

For now my main herpy goal is to join this forum’s community properly (as in have a reptile and not just be someone here that is interested in the animals but is herp free). I have found a breeder for Uros (not via morphmarket unfortunately) that seem captive bred and am thinking of building my own enclosure but theres still a lot to figure out and I still need stable employment and decent $ mojo so it will still be quite awhile. I am hoping maybe by my upcoming 34th birthday in September this year that I will be in a decent position.

Then if its ok maybe you can show me how you take such fantastic photography so I can do something to show the beauty of the Uro(s) I get. I like your work Welsh!!

2 Likes

sounds like you have your head screwed on :smiley:

I cannot show anyone how to take photographs…I am self taught. I know what works for me and my eye if you get me.
Daily practice is the best answer I can give anyone

2 Likes

Thanks for the advice. I guess I’ll maybe pull some trial and error to find my photo niche. For now I’ll just continue to enjoy the eyecandy that you produce with your photography.

I am the kind of guy who usually can get things right or a certain way in my head but when I try to make it reality it doesn’t cross over well when it comes to many creative outlets. There are a few hobbies and interests I have but dunno how well it will go when I manage to try my hand at it.

1 Like

It’s nice to have pleasant feedback…usually folks get annoyed when I say they have to practice. I remember one young guy wouldn’t have it. He just wouldn’t believe me about it. He spent like 5k on the most expensive camera and set up and all his photos were washed out and white lol. I did titter to myself as he had a stinking attitude.
A camera is a tool and it doesn’t matter what make or model it is if you cannot compose a shot lol.
Yes that’s it…over time practicing you will develop your own style. Something that will differentiate you from others. This is the key.

3 Likes

I would would say that right there is a word of wisdom @welshmorphology

1 Like

I agree with you Welsh. Even the most powerful tools are useless if used incorrectly. Its up to us to learn how to effectively use them in our own way.

I guess at this point in my life my regrets from the past oh decade and a bit or so has created like a midlife crisis kinda mentality in me where I find myself just hungry for skills in almost anything just so I dont feel empty. I have severe depression and anxiety and nowadays I find I have no valid outlet to keep it in check so I try to claw my way into skills I wouldn’t probably go for otherwise.

When I finally get my Uro (whenever that is) I will see what I can do to cover this forum’s pic tax in the best way I can.

1 Like

I found taking pics of ANYTHING just helped. I am more inclined to taking tighter headshots and macro, do have really had to boot myself up the bum to try more landscape and Astro is the opposite of macro.
I am predisposed for taking macro shots…some people are the opposite and love landscape. We are all different and naturally have our own skills.

2 Likes

Very nice!! One species on a list with others that I probably will never get to own due to the space required to have a proper enclosure.

2 Likes

Yes iguanas take up a lot of my house. Wouldn’t change it for the World though

3 Likes